ADVERTISEMENT

Tropical Park Hurdles

ronfantastico

SuperCane
Gold Member
Dec 15, 2009
I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I'm not sure people realize how difficult it will be to secure Tropical Park as a building site for a UM stadium.

Building on a county property will likely require a countywide referendum to approve construction.

The process of getting this project on the ballot would be very costly, not only for obvious qualification requirements, but for the acquisition of lobbyists to further the project and the inclusion of additional lobbyists to not undermine it. This is Miami-Dade.

The BOCC is not far removed from seeing a County Mayor and Commissioner recalled (recall efforts targeted a number of others) for their support of Marlins Park. So don't expect vocal support from elected officials.

Once the issue finds itself on a ballot, you can count on a multimillion dollar, countywide campaign with organized opposition.

Assuming it passes (which I believe it would), prepare for the parade of groups to sue in order to prevent the project from reaching completion. Miami voters approved the Melrese Soccer Complex. Ask Beckham and the Mas Brothers how smooth that's gone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News