ADVERTISEMENT

Why

The lounge posts also show up under "New Posts."

I think that is where a lot of the blowback comes from. People don't actually need to go into the lounge to see the new lounge posts.

I think that is where a lot of the blowback comes from. People don't actually need to go into the lounge to see the new lounge posts.
I was the member of this site for more than a decade without going to the lounge. Recently, lounge topics started to appear on the front page. I have clicked on several now. I should probably just ignore them, but I see it is easy to get sucked in.

• Haha
Reactions: mahb
On a sports site do we need anything political the longe or any other nonsense belongs somewhere else. Sports is supposed to give a break from the nonsense. Hopefully do away with it on new site!
If you wanna talk football, keep in the War Room or SS. Nobody is forcing you to the Lounge. Seems like the only posters who dislike the Lounge are the ones currently on the wrong side of what's going to happen in Nov. If some of these topics appear in the War Room, maybe, just maybe, it's because Gary has to moderate TWO sites for the month of June and the fact that we are leaving Rivals. Get with the program. Nobody cares for a cry baby.

Last edited:
On a sports site do we need anything political the longe or any other nonsense belongs somewhere else. Sports is supposed to give a break from the nonsense. Hopefully do away with it on new site!
George Washington said it best, "For if Men are to be excluded from offering their Sentiments on a matter, which may involve the most serious and alarming consequences, that can invite the consideration of Mankind, reason is of no use to us; the freedom of speech may be taken away, and dumb and silent we may be led, like sleep to the slaughter." Harry Truman had this to say, "Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it only has one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all it's citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in fear."

Fair enough. But there are multiple indicators. Like, the word LOUNGE appears under the thread title. Also, If you miss that and open the thread anyway and it begins with "That stupid SOB.....[insert politician]....just click out of it.

Ask ESPN that question
Or Sports Illustrated, who's bashing a H.S. coach in Washington State for voluntarily praying after every game. He IS NOT asking any of his players to do the same. He was fired for doing that.

The case goes before the Supreme Court this week or next. I'm rooting for the coach to win.

Last edited:
We are going to give the users of the lounge the chance to reset
If they can’t then we will have to eliminate
The lounge could be a great thing if a handful don’t ruin it

I was the member of this site for more than a decade without going to the lounge. Recently, lounge topics started to appear on the front page. I have clicked on several now. I should probably just ignore them, but I see it is easy to get sucked in.
We never intended for those to show up on the front page

We are going to give the users of the lounge the chance to reset
If they can’t then we will have to eliminate
The lounge could be a great thing if a handful don’t ruin it
Why not just get rid of the handful that can't keep things under control? I know you shouldn't have to babysit on here but why let a few rotten apples spoil it for the rest of us?

Reactions: NO.SHORECANE

I hope ESPN is listening.

I am a big proponent of off topic boards as a complement
But it is up to the users of them to behave like adults and moderate themselves and their language
Gary the level of racism that is allowed in the Lounge was (will be?) the problem.

They won't adhere. Some will thinly veil it. If you tolerate it, its just going to get worse and worse.

Reactions: HurricaneBosco26U
I hope ESPN is listening.
I don't watch ESPN but the only people who believe sports is apolitical are people who have no challenges.

Almost every inner-city kid you see on the field is there because they are trying to get out of their circumstance.

Most of the folks in boxing and emerging into MMA are there because it was the way out of their circumstances.

There are few and far between sports where socio-economic factors don't have a role, you aren't on the Polo team or the Equestrian team without socioeconomic conditions that allow it, similarly, you probably aren't going to be a world class soccer player or sprinter unless you are born into it (legacy athletes) or are trying to get out of your environment.

That being said,

the Lounge need not be about that, it could just as easily be music, movies, books, plays, television, gaming, gambling, girls/women.

Instead its tribalism, and racism (see Honey's post above for the tribalism part and his posting history in the lounge for plenty of racist parts too).

Reactions: HurricaneBosco26U
Gary the level of racism that is allowed in the Lounge was (will be?) the problem.

They won't adhere. Some will thinly veil it. If you tolerate it, its just going to get worse and worse.
Yes, I agree. There are some in the Lounge that say that all Trump supporters are low educated racists and others that say that all white people are inherently racist. Are those the ones you're talking about? Don't act like this is so one sided.

Reactions: NO.SHORECANE
Yes, I agree. There are some in the Lounge that say that all Trump supporters are low educated racists and others that say that all white people are inherently racist. Are those the ones you're talking about? Don't act like this is so one sided.
"

They won't adhere. Some will thinly veil it. If you tolerate it, its just going to get worse and worse."

Where did I implicate a side. You're making the example of the tribalism. You're in such a hurry to be tribal you ignore the point.

If you tolerate it, its just going to get worse and worse.

Get off the tribal stuff. My statement was honest.

"

They won't adhere. Some will thinly veil it. If you tolerate it, its just going to get worse and worse."

Where did I implicate a side. You're making the example of the tribalism. You're in such a hurry to be tribal you ignore the point.

If you tolerate it, its just going to get worse and worse.

Get off the tribal stuff. My statement was honest.
Pot meet kettle. Did you ever call out those that said that all Trump supporters are low educated racists, or have you just tolerated those posts? Please spare us the sanctimonious lecture.

Pot meet kettle. Did you ever call out those that said that all Trump supporters are low educated racists, or have you just tolerated those posts? Please spare us the sanctimonious lecture.
This is the problem.

You assume that I'm speaking about, well not exactly sure what.

I said, "Gary the level of racism that is allowed in the Lounge was (will be?) the problem."

If that quote to you is so demonstrable as to who its targeting, then perhaps, and I know this is a reach, but perhaps their conduct is the problem.

That comment can be applied to any unacceptable level of racism equally, you and the tribalism mentioned above, demand that it is skewed to one population and reflexively offer a whatboutism that has devolved into accusation. Never once stating that the point, which is "the level of racism that is allowed in the Lounge was (will be?) the problem."

But carry on, a hit dog gone holler.

This is the problem.

You assume that I'm speaking about, well not exactly sure what.

I said, "Gary the level of racism that is allowed in the Lounge was (will be?) the problem."

If that quote to you is so demonstrable as to who its targeting, then perhaps, and I know this is a reach, but perhaps their conduct is the problem.

That comment can be applied to any unacceptable level of racism equally, you and the tribalism mentioned above, demand that it is skewed to one population and reflexively offer a whatboutism that has devolved into accusation. Never once stating that the point, which is "the level of racism that is allowed in the Lounge was (will be?) the problem."

But carry on, a hit dog gone holler.
Oh no you called me tribal. You forgot the part where you said that if you tolerate it then you're part of the problem. Again, have you ever called out the many times that whites have been called racist things? If no then you are part of the problem. Pretty simple really and no Tribalism involved.

The part about keeping it off front page would be great I never have clicked on one just irritating they are in front page that's liberal or conservative or any thing non sports

there was a time when we had no lounge and Canesport staff (probably Gary) was constantly have to warn posters etc.to no avail. So they came up with the lounge because some members do like discussing politics. I think they got it right the way it is.

I think the lounge is lively and spirited as debate should be . But the younger generation has too many educated to be snowflakes. But I have no issue with doing away with the lounge.

Take off ur pink panties and man up… You must be a Dem…

There is a lounge on the new site too.

What may help you is not to go in it if you don't like off topic content.
Thanks Raoul! I just can't get over these fragile people who can't stand the thought of others participating in an activity that they have no interest in. It would be like me complaining about the Dolphin, Heat, European Soccer, or Hockey threads. LET'S KEEP IT TO THE CANES! GET OFF MY LAWN!
@gferman , please tell these people to get a fricking life!

Reactions: Raoul2 and mahb
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT