ADVERTISEMENT

Do White Amercans have "White Privilege "

You have the BASIC "privilege" to expect to LIVE and go home to your family at night if you are UNARMED while having an interaction with the police...
I can't comment on that as I am not an expert in that area....I just know not to run from police and to respect them....yes there are bad ones as I said what happened to me.....
You are correct....my parents never had anything to leave me or my brothers. My father left home when i was 10. All 5 of me and my siblings are successful....but we all grew up with people that had advantages and not just white people. What is missed is white people are the majority so obviously that is going to be an advantage in and of its self. In a very wide range of ways....not just money.

It's like my mom always told me. There is always someone better off than you and always someone worse off. Regardless of color or nationality in this country. You at least have some opportunities. Maybe not as many as someone else but if you work hard you can make it work.
You are right...hard work pays off...some try to take the easy way out and instant gratification....I think that is a big problem....easy money comes from crime for the most part except hitting the lottery....or happen to have rich and connected ppl around u

We all have the opportunity to make good choices. Go to school get a job, avoid drugs illegal activities and alcohol abuse....the kid who has no chance that you mention has lots of chances.

I didn't say that he has no chance and I'm not saying that he doesn't have chances. I asked whether the opportunities were equal.

Reactions: m.dan
A white kid on a wheelchair? An Asian blind kid? A native American deaf kid?

We have laws in place to attempt to even the playing field for those with disabilities. I'm talking about two able-bodied kids, one born in Coral Gables and one born in Liberty city. Are you telling me that the kid born in Liberty City has all of the opportunities in life that the kid from Coral Gables gets? You really could only imagine, unless you've seen it with your eyes. Unless you've seen a kid who really never stood a single chance due to his circumstances.

Reactions: m.dan
Good point. However, I'd say that there's a greater disparity between whites and certain minorities. Partly due to race, and partly due to other things.
I have been exposed to white communities where I felt horrible for the dogs in the community let alone the kids.

Stop making excuses. Stop having unwanted children. Stop glamorizing violence, lack of education, drug and alcohol abuse, be ashamed to be on public assistance. Glamorize hard work. Glamorous doing your schoolwork, glamorous a successful marriage.

You think all white people have equal opportunities?
On a very basic human level, I think all white ppl have equal opportunities to go home to their families unscathed after an unarmed interaction with police officers..

On a very basic human level, I think all white ppl have equal opportunities to go home to their families unscathed after an unarmed interaction with police officer..
Such bullshit. There are hundreds of thousands of interaction of black people with cops and there are a remarkably small number that end in homocide. With the exception of just a couple, the homicide would not have happened if the suspect cooperated with law enforcement.

Too many smart people are running with this nonsense story that white cops are running around shooting innocent black people every day. It's nonsense. You have a better chance of winning Powerball than getting shot by a cop if you cooperate with their instructions.

Btw a cop got shot by a peep in the face the other day in Harlem. Happens way too often and is under reported. Those men and women have very tough jobs.

I have been exposed to white communities where I felt horrible for the dogs in the community let alone the kids.

Stop making excuses. Stop having unwanted children. Stop glamorizing violence, lack of education, drug and alcohol abuse, be ashamed to be on public assistance. Glamorize hard work. Glamorous doing your schoolwork, glamorous a successful marriage.

I agree that all of these things are the solution, I just disagree on how to reach them. It needs to be done with a combination of outside influence and internal change. Staunch disagreement won't get us anywhere in terms of progress. We need to guide these movements rather than only resisting them.

I agree that all of these things are the solution, I just disagree on how to reach them. It needs to be done with a combination of outside influence and internal change. Staunch disagreement won't get us anywhere in terms of progress. We need to guide these movements rather than only resisting them.
Fair.

How many black kids the ones from hard neighborhoods, get positive reinforcement at Home? If it doesn't start there there is nothing that will change things. Stop instagramming pictures of kneeling and sit down at the kitchen table with your son and daughter and help them with their school work.

Fair.

How many black kids the ones from hard neighborhoods, get positive reinforcement at Home? If it doesn't start there there is nothing that will change things. Stop instagramming pictures of kneeling and sit down at the kitchen table with your son and daughter and help them with their school work.
Well said. While there are some parents that do try and instill good values in their kids with no luck the ones who teach their kids the victim mentality and that they are effed at birth aren't doing them any favors.

Fair.

And their parent's parents? And their parent's parents?

This goes back to slavery. This issue is more complicated than just saying that their parents need to step up. That's part of the equation, sure. And yes this would be a lot easier if there were hoards of well-qualified parents in these communities, but that's not the case. Gotta find another way.

Good point. However, I'd say that there's a greater disparity between whites and certain minorities. Partly due to race, and partly due to other things.

Seems that certain minority groups adapt, prosper, and advance, while others remain stagnant .. and complain about injustices. I look specifically at the Hispanic minority groups.

I have personally seen countless Hispanic individuals arrive, not even able to speak English. Started with warehouse jobs moving pallets at minimum wage, worked hard, consistently, and reliably. Received promotions, married, wife also worked. Gradually learned English .. had children .. main goal with the kids was 1). Learn English 2). Get good grades 3). Attend and graduate from college. Hispanic minorities seem to have two very important things in common. Base belief in the importance of the family unit, and a drive to improve their lot through hard work and education .. for themselves and their children. I don't see the same core values in many of the economically challenged Black neighborhoods.

Seems that certain minority groups adapt, prosper, and advance, while others remain stagnant .. and complain about injustices. I look specifically at the Hispanic minority groups.

I have personally seen countless Hispanic individuals arrive, not even able to speak English. Started with warehouse jobs moving pallets at minimum wage, worked hard, consistently, and reliably. Received promotions, married, wife also worked. Gradually learned English .. had children .. main goal with the kids was 1). Learn English 2). Get good grades 3). Attend and graduate from college. Hispanic minorities seem to have two very important things in common. Base belief in the importance of the family unit, and a drive to improve their lot through hard work and education .. for themselves and their children. I don't see the same core values in many of the economically challenged Black neighborhoods.

Can't argue with these points. I think it's the cultural priorities, and of course, we're all generalizing here.

So the only question is how to achieve change if you even want that. It takes us to the crux of the issue. I think that policing these communities is necessary, but it's reactive rather than proactive. You have to reach these kids earlier.

Reactions: FlatlandCane

This goes back to slavery. This issue is more complicated than just saying that their parents need to step up. That's part of the equation, sure. And yes this would be a lot easier if there were hoards of well-qualified parents in these communities, but that's not the case. Gotta find another way.
Ok...I think 2 parents would help...and sports is suppose to help teach team concept and bring kids and families together...when they are young alot is put on these kids and if they don't succeed they are pushed to the side...then they go find a group that they are accepted in whether it be a academic or a gang or just to get high....that's where these young people need some guidance and sometimes there isn't any....maybe it's a single parent home and have to work 60 hrs a week to make it and not there at the time they need them...no fault it is just our society

Can't argue with these points. I think it's the cultural priorities, and of course, we're all generalizing here.

So the only question is how to achieve change if you even want that. It takes us to the crux of the issue. I think that policing these communities is necessary, but it's reactive rather than proactive. You have to reach these kids earlier.

Reaching kids earlier would go back to e_cushing point of parenting. Do you think the state stepping in at an earlier age is acceptable?

Unless you always want to be a victim, looking back other than to understand where you were is pointless. Change starts today if you want it too. Screw the past we cant fix it. Taking a knee may raise awareness although I doubt it. Most people taking a knee have no idea why they are doing it. Nothing will change the past.

If Trump opened his checkbook today and wrote a check to every black person in the country, how much would be enough? It isnt about money or handouts. Its about culture. As a community the black people need to create a culture within themselves that values education, having a job, speaking well, treating women with respect, respecting law enforcement etc etc. That is the only way things will ever get better.

Such bullshit. There are hundreds of thousands of interaction of black people with cops and there are a remarkably small number that end in homocide. With the exception of just a couple, the homicide would not have happened if the suspect cooperated with law enforcement.

Too many smart people are running with this nonsense story that white cops are running around shooting innocent black people every day. It's nonsense. You have a better chance of winning Powerball than getting shot by a cop if you cooperate with their instructions.

Btw a cop got shot by a peep in the face the other day in Harlem. Happens way too often and is under reported. Those men and women have very tough jobs.
You call it bullshyt but I call it REAL shyt..& that'a where we differ but I wouldn't expect you to understand because you're not worried about shyt happening to you. Peace out!!

Reaching kids earlier would go back to e_cushing point of parenting. Do you think the state stepping in at an earlier age is acceptable?

Honestly, I believe that we need to invest more money in afterschool programs. Now I know that we're big in the lounge on boxing everyone into liberal or conservative boxes, but my beliefs fall on both sides. I'm open to cutting welfare but I think we should be investing more in the kids in these communities. You may think that cutting PBS is no big deal because your kids have cable, but having access to these programs is a huge deal in some households. I think there is a lack of leadership in these communities and with enough funding, we can improve that. There are sports, but what do these kids do when they're not good enough to get to college?

I also don't believe that I know everything, these ideas are just what I think would help based on my experience growing up in a bad neighborhood. I'm open to other people's ideas.

You call it bullshyt but I call it REAL shyt..& that'a where we differ but I wouldn't expect you to understand because you're not worried about shyt happening to you. Peace out!!
Please inform me how many times you, anyone in your family or any of your friends were killed by a cop. I'm guessing the answer is zero. If it isn't how many of those encounters were the victim 100% cooperative?

I will wait.

Unless you always want to be a victim, looking back other than to understand where you were is pointless. Change starts today if you want it too. Screw the past we cant fix it. Taking a knee may raise awareness although I doubt it. Most people taking a knee have no idea why they are doing it. Nothing will change the past.

If Trump opened his checkbook today and wrote a check to every black person in the country, how much would be enough? It isnt about money or handouts. Its about culture. As a community the black people need to create a culture within themselves that values education, having a job, speaking well, treating women with respect, respecting law enforcement etc etc. That is the only way things will ever get better.

I think that mindset is correct, and it works for you because you're a well-adjusted adult. But if a culture is producing adults who don't have the ability to function properly in society, I don't think the answer is to say that the culture needs to fix itself.

No, you are not responsible for slavery, obviously. However, it is slavery that was a major contributing factor to the state of their culture. African Americans did not come here as business or landowners, they were property. They were not allowed to get an education. Yes, this was 150 years ago, but it has had an impact on their circumstances.

Honestly, I believe that we need to invest more money in afterschool programs. Now I know that we're big in the lounge on boxing everyone into liberal or conservative boxes, but my beliefs fall on both sides. I'm open to cutting welfare but I think we should be investing more in the kids in these communities. You may think that cutting PBS is no big deal because your kids have cable, but having access to these programs is a huge deal in some households. I think there is a lack of leadership in these communities and with enough funding, we can improve that. There are sports, but what do these kids do when they're not good enough to get to college?

I also don't believe that I know everything, these ideas are just what I think would help based on my experience growing up in a bad neighborhood. I'm open to other people's ideas.
Make home life more positive
Make school more important and positive
Early age drug and alcohol prevention education, after school at the local rec center whatever
Clean up your neighborhood
Work, part time, full time whatever and be proud of it

All of this stuff adds up.

Please inform me how many times you, anyone in your family or any of your friends were killed by a cop. I'm guessing the answer is zero. If it isn't how many of those encounters were the victim 100% cooperative?

I will wait.
I'm betting m.dan wasn't killed by a cop or this is some poltergeist stuff going on in canesport being he's posting.

I think that mindset is correct, and it works for you because you're a well-adjusted adult. But if a culture is producing adults who don't have the ability to function properly in society, I don't think the answer is to say that the culture needs to fix itself.

No, you are not responsible for slavery, obviously. However, it is slavery that was a major contributing factor to the state of their culture. African Americans did not come here as business or landowners, they were property. They were not allowed to get an education. Yes, this was 150 years ago, but it has had an impact on their circumstances.
Fair.

But at risk of sound like a repetitive asshole, what does harping on it accomplish. The past is the past. All Americans need to get out of the rearview mirror and start looking out the windshield of life.

Reactions: Dr.L.ThugU

I'm with you on having beliefs on both sides, but I'm not sure if more spending is the answer. We spend more money than any other country on education, where has that gotten us? Maybe shuffling arounds funds at the state and local level might be a better option imo. I believe the solution has to come from the community and the leaders within those communities. One size fits all programs always screw someone.

Reactions: canesfan470
I'm with you on having beliefs on both sides, but I'm not sure if more spending is the answer. We spend more money than any other country on education, where has that gotten us? Maybe shuffling arounds funds at the state and local level might be a better option imo. I believe the solution has to come from the community and the leaders within those communities. One size fits all programs always screw someone.

Maybe, it's a major challenge. My argument would be, the last resort should be to spend money arresting a 17-year-old who just committed a crime. That should be seen as a failure of society. We're all good spending money incarcerating that kid, but maybe if we just had the right support system in place we could have avoided it all together.

I agree with you though, I don't think to throw money at it will fix it. I just think that we need to be ready to give money to the leaders that have shown that they are making things happen. We also need to be ready to spend money to replicate their success elsewhere.

Point taken. You are a good man. I appreciate your ability to have a debate on a difficult topic and keep it civil. I hope we can enjoy a canes victory tonight, something I think we are both firmly behind.

Thanks, you are too. It's nice to be able to share thoughts without everyone running to their corner. Usually, all I get out of the Lounge is anxiety lol.

Maybe, it's a major challenge. My argument would be, the last resort should be to spend money arresting a 17-year-old who just committed a crime. That should be seen as a failure of society. We're all good spending money incarcerating that kid, but maybe if we just had the right support system in place we could have avoided it all together.

I agree with you though, I don't think to throw money at it will fix it. I just think that we need to be ready to give money to the leaders that have shown that they are making things happen. We also need to be ready to spend money to replicate their success elsewhere.

I stated in another post that things could be done to help this situation that goes along with your point and wouldn't cost tax payers anything. Ending the drug war, reducing mandatory minimums on non violent offenses, and getting rid of or reducing the "for profit" prison system.

I stated in another post that things could be done to help this situation that goes along with your point and wouldn't cost tax payers anything. Ending the drug war, reducing mandatory minimums on non violent offenses, and getting rid of or reducing the "for profit" prison system.

/agree, /agree, /agree.

I feel like this is something that conservatives and liberals can get behind. Gotta get out of our corners.

We have laws in place to attempt to even the playing field for those with disabilities. I'm talking about two able-bodied kids, one born in Coral Gables and one born in Liberty city. Are you telling me that the kid born in Liberty City has all of the opportunities in life that the kid from Coral Gables gets? You really could only imagine, unless you've seen it with your eyes. Unless you've seen a kid who really never stood a single chance due to his circumstances.
Of course the kid from Liberty City does not have the same opportunities and that is something we need to work on but using race as the only reason only creates divisiveness. A kid from Appalachia also has less opportunity than the kid from Coral Gables. The son of King Abdullah or of Robert Mugabe has more opportunities than just about anyone else in their country.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT