ADVERTISEMENT

BillBoard Music Awards....Shame on you

Didn't watch it, but have to agree, one a musical level, Madonna not even close to Prince.

Reactions: Brooks B
I guess there are different ways to judge a persons success and talent.......but one is worth nearly a billion.......the other about a 1/3 of that. She didnt get that way by not being talented so i will leave it at that as both are legends imo and i will leave it at that.

I guess there are different ways to judge a persons success and talent.......but one is worth nearly a billion.......the other about a 1/3 of that. She didnt get that way by not being talented so i will leave it at that as both are legends imo and i will leave it at that.
Jessica Simpson is worth a billion, but is she more legendary than Prince dude?.....

Brooks-

Madonna has a net worth of 800 million..
Jessica Simpson has a net worth of 150 million...

Dont even try to compare the two...

I like Prince more than Madonna but to say that Madonna isn't close to his level is nuts.

Did not watch, but I would say on a talent level Stevie Wonder is better than both of them combined.

Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, Led Zeppelin (Plant/Paige), Burt Bacharach, Jackson Brown, Paul McCarrtney, James Taylor to name a few.

That's closer to accurate. Prince as a producer/composer/singer/instrumentalist all in one is fairly unprecedented (his first several albums, he literally sang every note, played every instrument, recorded every part, mixed every part and produced every part, start to finish no one else had anything to do with the product). Not many wrote music with the level of breadth (classical to pop) and quality (radio success and critical success) as he did. Few popular performers play any ONE instrument as well as he can play both keyboards, guitar and drums. As a singer his range is unquestionable from a strong baritone to one of the highest falsettos.

I think those who are comfortable with the comparison are comparing fame. But even then, they probably don't have a good appreciation of Prince's impact, realize all the songs that he wrote for other artist (he frequently did so under different names), all the impact of his progeny or have heard any of his music outside of the commercially successful pop albums.

Here are a couple of examples of his guitar skills for the underinformed.

Cover of Hendrix "Red House"

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

The show was ridiculous. The artists today are interchangable. You can put Demo L., Rhianna, Beyonce, Madonna, and all of these princes with one name in a hat and pick one out. Same shit, different body.

Reactions: skelly6142
It's two different things. As a musician and producer, Prince is probably better but as a world wide iconic star and entertainer, Madonna is head and shoulders above Prince.

And this is no insult to Prince because he is probably top 5 or 10 entertainer in last 35 years. Just Madonna is top 3.

Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, Led Zeppelin (Plant/Paige), Burt Bacharach, Jackson Brown, Paul McCarrtney, James Taylor to name a few.

And would you have preferred Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, James Taylor, Led Zepplin Burt Bacharach (which is laughable) or Led Zepplin singing Prince songs??

I can just see it now, James Taylor singing "You sexy Mutha Fu%*er"

And Paul McCarthy?? I have you heard that guy sing in the last 3 or 4 years. Atrocious. He has no voice left and cracks his voice on every high note.

as a musician, producer, or songwriter ....NOT NO...BUT HELL NO

And would you have preferred Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, James Taylor, Led Zepplin Burt Bacharach (which is laughable) or Led Zepplin singing Prince songs??

I can just see it now, James Taylor singing "You sexy Mutha Fu%*er"

And Paul McCarthy?? I have you heard that guy sing in the last 3 or 4 years. Atrocious. He has no voice left and cracks his voice on every high note.

That would actually be pretty good...........Plant and Paige doing a Prince medley.
Anyways, my response was to papii....which I totally agree with. Compared to Prince as a musician, producer or songwriter, Madonna is a joke. Entertainer, different story. Like Elvis (not comparing. but some don't know Elvis never wrote one song, at least that became popular).
So I listed others that are at least in the same ballpark as signers/songwriters and producers. Prince is seriously under-rated in this arena by the mainstream fan. They think Little Red Corvette, Party like it's 1999, When Doves Cry, Raspberry Beret, Purple Rain, etc are good songs. But those who know and are familiar with these kinds of musical talents, know there was way more to him than that.
Oh, and I would add Taupin/John to my list.

Also, one of my favorite Prince performances. He was versatile.

A Prince tribute with no guitar is stupid.

A fitting tribute would have been the Foo Fighers doing a cover in homage to the cover he did at the Super Bowl.

Bruno Mars is the artist currently closest in production/writing/performing and singing. That would have been reasonable.

The Time has been touring for the last year, why not.

The many artists that made hits singing his songs Celine Dion, Chaka Khan, Alicia Keys, D'Angelo.

I like D.Wade's tweet the best.

DWade ‏@DwyaneWade 11h11 hours ago
If that's all Prince got..The rest of us are in trouble

BET did it best though.

Reactions: papii
Discrediting Madona as a non legend is absurd.

Top selling female artist of all time

Tot solo touring gross artist of all time

#3 touring artist (group and solo) of all time only behind rolling stones and U2

Holds the record for the most billboard #1s of all time. Even her last 2 albums peaked at #2 and #1.

Some of you are either too young to remember Madonna or just flat out don't care about issues in the music industry that don't relate to playing a musical instrument.

No one is saying that Madonna plays any instrument better than Prince, but if you grew up in the 80's, pop music was all Michael Jackson and Madonna.

She was one of the first female artists to bring up issues like interracial relationships (which was taboo for a white woman) and abortion in her videos and her songs. She was a fashion icon more so than Prince as every chick in the 80's dressed like Madonna.

She also is the best selling female recording artist of all time.

I know people appreciate artists more when they die, but Madonna had a much bigger influence on pop culture in the 80's / 90's than Prince did, and she also sold a bunch more records as well. She was by a long shot the more popular artist.

IF you didn't grow up in the 80's, it's hard to explain how popular Madonna was.

Reactions: mmako11
Sure Madonna is a legend as a performer, but it just seems like it would be more appropriate to pay tribute to one of the MUSICAL geniuses of the past few decades .. with some killer guitar and music presentations of his hits .. and not a Madonna appearance. Didn't watch .. don't watch those shows .. but will never forget "Purple Rain".

Reactions: papii and Brooks B
Joetoth............you forgot Neil Diamond........LOL....one of the greatest selling stars or ALL time......

Sure Madonna is a legend as a performer, but it just seems like it would be more appropriate to pay tribute to one of the MUSICAL geniuses of the past few decades .. with some killer guitar and music presentations of his hits .. and not a Madonna appearance. Didn't watch .. don't watch those shows .. but will never forget "Purple Rain".

Nailed it.

Prince was Clapton, Hendrix not just an icon, but substantive.

Reactions: Brooks B
Prince is a beast...I put him up there with Mike. Purple rain even out did thriller. He's said to have countless amount of music left. What killed it for him was going against the industry.

Please explain how Purple Rain "outdid" Thriller.

And Prince and Michael Jackson are not even in the same stratosphere when it comes to selling records and creating music.

People conveniently forget Michael Jackson is in the Song Writers Hall of Fame.

He created more #1 hits by the age of 23 than Prince did in his whole career.

I like Prince and I know he died and everything but people have gone way overboard with this. Prince is not in the same realm as Michael Jackson or Madonna. Yes he played an instrument better than they did but that is not all there is to being a musician.

Reactions: e_cushing
Some of you are either too young to remember Madonna or just flat out don't care about issues in the music industry that don't relate to playing a musical instrument.

No one is saying that Madonna plays any instrument better than Prince, but if you grew up in the 80's, pop music was all Michael Jackson and Madonna.

She was one of the first female artists to bring up issues like interracial relationships (which was taboo for a white woman) and abortion in her videos and her songs. She was a fashion icon more so than Prince as every chick in the 80's dressed like Madonna.

She also is the best selling female recording artist of all time.

I know people appreciate artists more when they die, but Madonna had a much bigger influence on pop culture in the 80's / 90's than Prince did, and she also sold a bunch more records as well. She was by a long shot the more popular artist.

IF you didn't grow up in the 80's, it's hard to explain how popular Madonna was.
Madonna was a sex symbol. She couldn't even tie Prince shoes

Reactions: bobbydigius
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT