ADVERTISEMENT

In the world of Marijuana use...

CashvilleCane1

SuperCane
Jan 6, 2011
Nashville
r960_blur-2983c57943d8b2e6c4d8815e271d2a24.jpg

Last week marked the fifth anniversary of Colorado's decision to sanction the world's first anything-goes commercial pot trade.

Five years later, we remain an embarrassing cautionary tale.

Visitors to Colorado remark about a new agricultural smell, the wafting odor of pot as they drive near warehouse grow operations along Denver freeways. Residential neighborhoods throughout Colorado Springs reek of marijuana, as producers fill rental homes with plants.

Five years of retail pot coincide with five years of a homelessness growth rate that ranks among the highest rates in the country. Directors of homeless shelters, and people who live on the streets, tell us homeless substance abusers migrate here for easy access to pot.

Five years of Big Marijuana ushered in a doubling in the number of drivers involved in fatal crashes who tested positive for marijuana, based on research by the pro-legalization Denver Post.

Five years of commercial pot have been five years of more marijuana in schools than teachers and administrators ever feared.

"An investigation by Education News Colorado, Solutions and the I-News Network shows drug violations reported by Colorado's K-12 schools have increased 45 percent in the past four years, even as the combined number of all other violations has fallen," explains an expose on escalating pot use in schools by Rocky Mountain PBS in late 2016.

The investigation found an increase in high school drug violations of 71 percent since legalization. School suspensions for drugs increased 45 percent.

The National Survey on Drug Use and Health found Colorado ranks first in the country for marijuana use among teens, scoring well above the national average.

The only good news to celebrate on this anniversary is the dawn of another organization to push back against Big Marijuana's threat to kids, teens and young adults.

The Marijuana Accountability Coalition formed Nov. 6 in Denver and will establish satellites throughout the state. It resulted from discussions among recovery professionals, parents, physicians and others concerned with the long-term effects of a commercial industry profiteering off of substance abuse.

"It's one thing to decriminalize marijuana, it's an entirely different thing to legalize an industry that has commercialized a drug that is devastating our kids and devastating whole communities," said coalition founder Justin Luke Riley. "Coloradans need to know, other states need to know, that Colorado is suffering from massive normalization and commercialization of this drug which has resulted in Colorado being the number one state for youth drug use in the country. Kids are being expelled at higher rates, and more road deaths tied to pot have resulted since legalization."

Commercial pot's five-year anniversary is an odious occasion for those who want safer streets, healthier kids and less suffering associated with substance abuse. Experts say the worst effects of widespread pot use will culminate over decades. If so, we can only imagine the somber nature of Big Marijuana's 25th birthday.

— Colorado Springs Gazette

Reactions: PalmaBoy
It will be interesting to see what happens here in Cali.

Jan 1 2018 weed actually becomes legal. Laws have been in place we’re certain amounts will not get you in trouble and to buy weed at a dispensary you needed a medical card.

I do not know if more shops will open up, or vending machines will be setup or how it will work.

It will be interesting to see what happens here in Cali.

Jan 1 2018 weed actually becomes legal. Laws have been in place we’re certain amounts will not get you in trouble and to buy weed at a dispensary you needed a medical card.

I do not know if more shops will open up, or vending machines will be setup or how it will work.
I think it’s hilarious after the latest New England’s Journal of Medicine study. Going to be a mess in 15-20 years

More oxygen for me

Something we finally agree on. Article makes no mention comparison of driving fatalities involving alcohol to marijuana users or health issues resulting from long term alcohol abuse.
Yep. Likely, the traffic deaths from marijuana doubled from three to six, meanwhile, traffic deaths from alcohol are one to two orders of magnitude higher. Cancer due to cigarettes, likely two to three orders of magnitude more.

Yep. Likely, the traffic deaths from marijuana doubled from three to six, meanwhile, traffic deaths from alcohol are one to two orders of magnitude higher. Cancer due to cigarettes, likely two to three orders of magnitude more.

I do know now they have a way to test for under the influence of drugs when they pull you over. I believe they started this test in late 2016.

I really do not think it will have a impact we’re I live as far as it being legal. I am just curious to see how it is sold. Weed we’re I live is more then likely used way more then cigarettes.

Now in other parts of Cali they might see a difference. What I am most interested in is how much tax dollar is brought in from the selling of it.

Reactions: BreakingCane
I'm curious what the penalty is for having tobacco or alcohol on campus is for students is in Colorado. It would make sense that with easier access there would be more students with marijuana on campus. The question is how does it compare to tobacco or alcohol. Also are those suspendible offenses. In Florida and keep in mind punishments vary county by county but in my county tobacco possession will get you a citation and not a suspension, alcohol will get you suspended, and marijuana will get you sent to an alternative school. My question is with marijuana being legal in Colorado would they treat possession of it like tobacco or alcohol?

Regardless my wife who was in a severe car accident and has been on addictive pain medication for years switched to medical marijuana when it became legal in Florida. She is like a new person. The pain medicines she was on caused her to be in what I called out of it most of the time when she had to take them. The marijuana has allowed her to be more active and feel better all around. The debate can be made as to wether or not it should be legalized recreational but I can personally attest to the benefits of its medicinal purposes.

The history of marijuana laws show that it was started by Big Liquor back after the days of prohibition. It was a much cheaper alternative and probably much safer than alcohol and Big Liquor wanted to be sure that it was not allowed. It's also a law enforcement job Relief act in that many people are arrested on bs misdemeanor offenses creating more jobs for cops and correctional officers. Decriminalization threatens these special interests. I'm not a pothead btw. Never tried it nor need it but some people do and I'm not going to interfere in their right to partake.

Reactions: BreakingCane
The history of marijuana laws show that it was started by Big Liquor back after the days of prohibition. It was a much cheaper alternative and probably much safer than alcohol and Big Liquor wanted to be sure that it was not allowed. It's also a law enforcement job Relief act in that many people are arrested on bs misdemeanor offenses creating more jobs for cops and correctional officers. Decriminalization threatens these special interests. I'm not a pothead btw. Never tried it nor need it but some people do and I'm not going to interfere in their right to partake.

It is a drug and is illegal for a reason.

It is not healthy and causes health issues from its use. On a number of fronts, it causes folks to be unhealthy.

Also, laws do not create jobs, lawbreakers create those jobs.

Don’t want to be arrested for breaking the law, choose to be a law abiding citizen. Pretty simple. We can agree on that, correct?

It is really simple.

Last edited:

It is not healthy and causes health issues from its use. On a number of fronts, it causes folks to be unhealthy.

Don’t want to be arrested for breaking the law, choose to be a law abiding citizen. Pretty simple. We can agree on that, correct?

It is really simple.
Do you drink?

It is really simple.
Science disagrees with you. People on opiods with glaucoma even cancer attest to medicinal effects. As do many scientists. Again aren't all self avowed conservatives for more not less freedom?

It is really simple.
Marijuana is generally considered to have a net health benefit, especially in edible form.
Now if we want to talk about health consequences I guess Alcohol, tobacco, and sugar should all be illegal because they are way more detrimental to your health. Marijuana is actually considered medicine to a lot of people, rightfully so.

It is really simple.
Probably one of the most uninformed posts that I've read on here to date.

I do know now they have a way to test for under the influence of drugs when they pull you over. I believe they started this test in late 2016.

I really do not think it will have a impact we’re I live as far as it being legal. I am just curious to see how it is sold. Weed we’re I live is more then likely used way more then cigarettes.

Now in other parts of Cali they might see a difference. What I am most interested in is how much tax dollar is brought in from the selling of it.
They have designated guys who are trained drug recognition experts

Reactions: redsoxb
Science disagrees with you. People on opiods with glaucoma even cancer attest to medicinal effects. As do many scientists. Again aren't all self avowed conservatives for more not less freedom?
People on opiods? People on opioids will say anything to get more. Not sure you aware there’s an opioid epidemic going on in this country. And you probably meant to say “cannibis” buy her your a really good speller! You have that going for you. Aren’t all self avowed liberals for more talking just to talk?

Last edited:
They have designated guys who are trained drug recognition experts

I am pretty sure that if they are not doing it now that in the near future they will be taking samples of dna from the mouth and some how check it roadside.

I thought that bill got passed in 2016 to allow the testing of dna for drugs.

I am pretty sure that if they are not doing it now that in the near future they will be taking samples of dna from the mouth and some how check it roadside.

I thought that bill got passed in 2016 to allow the testing of dna for drugs.
They just get a body search warrant and draw blood. DRE’s are pretty commonplace nowadays.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT