ADVERTISEMENT

It's over

michstfr

SuperCane
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2005
It's not going to happen, football in the Fall that is.. Maybe in the Spring.

The College Presidents and Conference Commissioners are just looking for a Hail Mary right now. A vaccine comes out, someone comes up with a magical plan that everyone agrees with etc. Something that can salvage their season and of course the revenue generated from CFB.

But the writing is on the wall. It ain't going to happen.

The rest of this is just white noise to occupy our days and nights.

Trust me I hate it as much as you do because I love football in the Fall, but at this point I think we better start coming to grips with the fact that it ain't coming back in the Fall.

The College Presidents and Conference Commissioners are just looking for a Hail Mary right now. A vaccine comes out, someone comes up with a magical plan that everyone agrees with etc. Something that can salvage their season and of course the revenue generated from CFB.

Trust me I hate it as much as you do because I love football in the Fall, but at this point I think we better start coming to grips with the fact that it ain't coming back in the Fall.

What a unique thought

I don't think anybody else has even considered
this as a possibility

Late winter / early Spring provides the best environment for transmitting viruses at high rates. Likely won’t happen then either.

I’ve been saying for weeks , maybe months that it’s doesn’t look good for the fall season.
A host of reasons .
Public sentiment
Political issues
Infection rates increasing
Lack of effective therapeutics
Etc
They are trying to cobble something together to salvage TV revenue. But the “ they” is all of college football. It will take unanimity among all the effected parties to get this done ( all conferences , the NCAA , NBC ABC , ESPN , CBS and all the state governments involved .
I’ve been consistent. All the dominoes needed to fall precisely together to salvage the fall season
They have not .
January start needs to worked on now or else it’s fall 2021 before we see a snap

Reactions: KappaCane and moord

You may very well be correct, but at this point it is simply speculation based upon what you have been spoon fed from the media.

I just saw an interview of a leading health expert from FL on CNN. It was quite apparent the responses he provided were not what the newscaster was looking for: the Dr was quite optimistic.

Although you have seen cases spike of late in FL his thoughts were as follows:

In just the last several weeks testing has gone from 10k to 140k on Saturday. More cases will be found including asymptotic. Positivity had been on the rise which was concerning, but in the past week has dropped from over 20% to 11%. Death rates are falling as we’re learning to treat this. And the last point he made when he finally got cut off from the interviewer- don’t believe the media’s portrayal of a shortage of hospital beds.

The fallout of college athletics are going to be massive...You will see programs dropped, athletic departments are going to be hurting.

This is going to be a huge hit...

Reactions: mrbaseballdn
The fallout of college athletics are going to be massive...You will see programs dropped, athletic departments are going to be hurting.

This might be a good thing, knock things down a couple notches. Athletic departments were getting bloated and college sports has become nothing more than a cash grab. Maybe this will reduce the amount of schools in FBS and bring things a little bit back to how they used to be. I mean we have like 70 bowl games a year- things have gone too far.
We should treat this as a necessary refreshing of college athletics.

Yep, if you can’t have a FB and BB season, you can’t have a season for the other sports, since they are supported by the revenue coming from the other two.

Just do the math! 130 D1 teams equals 14-15,000 individuals needed to play the game. Ie: players, coaches, support staff, etc. At just a 10 percent illness rate equals 14-1,500 cases right there; then add in hangers on, family members and you have a disaster waiting to happen. That does not include broadcast set up, fans..... etc, etc. Won't happen. This is not doomsay but pragmatism.

You may very well be correct, but at this point it is simply speculation based upon what you have been spoon fed from the media.

I just saw an interview of a leading health expert from FL on CNN. It was quite apparent the responses he provided were not what the newscaster was looking for: the Dr was quite optimistic.

Although you have seen cases spike of late in FL his thoughts were as follows:

In just the last several weeks testing has gone from 10k to 140k on Saturday. More cases will be found including asymptotic. Positivity had been on the rise which was concerning, but in the past week has dropped from over 20% to 11%. Death rates are falling as we’re learning to treat this. And the last point he made when he finally got cut off from the interviewer- don’t believe the media’s portrayal of a shortage of hospital beds.

3 days ago there were close to 50 hospitals in Florida where their ICU beds were at capacity, one of them being Coral Gables hospital.

And the Patriot League, which is FCS-Div 1-AA, announces they have cancelled ALL Fall sports.

Frankly I’m done getting upset over what and how Covid 19 affects my life.
It would be a miracle if they played at this point. Board about to be 10 times more toxic too with November rapidly approaching.
Time to buckle up. However the lounge is always fun.

I think you're correct.
In the immortal words of my high school sweetheart, "Just forget it, it's over." :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Cat.5 Cane
NauticalColorfulGander-max-1mb.gif
WeeklyDangerousInchworm-small.gif

It is definitely not "over." Active discussion and problem solving / brainstorming is still ongoing. The outlook is not positive. Optimism has plummeted in the last 2-4 weeks as the impacts of our collective missteps were laid bare by the data. On a separate yet related note, I don't think there are good reasons to be excited or hopeful for a vaccine to make a major change to our circumstances. The two issues together are weighing heavily on the decision making process as there is more and more suspicion that we're in this for a much longer time than most are currently envisioning and the problems you are trying to solve might not be relevant problems in 2021.

You have to wonder how what percentage of the new corona cases were people who ignored the doctors protocol and took part in the demonstrations this past month. On TV some of these demonstrators were packed tighter than sardines in a can and for some reason the networks didn't criticize them or even mention it. Yet some churches were criticized for conducting services even if they were following the distance protocol.

Our egomaniac president just started wearing a mask. China messed up big time by accidentally spreading a man-made virus, but much of this could’ve been avoided stateside.
Accidentally my ass! They intentionally allowed
ha ha says the moron Rick Wilson who is gleeful that the aspirational wish for a quick resolution wasn’t granted !
Yeah we hoped that the worst would be over by Easter moron Rick . It wasn’t but meanwhile we spent 4 Trillion $ on relief , started an unprecedented effort to create a vaccine and kick started an entire industry building ventilators
So Ha Ha , the hope for a quick recovery ended in disappointment! Yippee, people died! Hooray
It didn’t end by Easter where we could rejoice at the celebration of the Rising ! Whoopee ! Let’s make a joke about 10 years .The posting of this asshole is almost as bad as the comment . Celebrating death .

LMAO at idiots who still think the time of year matters for transmission of this virus. We are in the middle of summer and we are seeing the highest number of cases we have ever seen.

If this board has taught us anything, it’s dumb gonna dumb.

Reactions: MadMar and serge26
One of Mutinouscane’s bold predictions. Lol
LOL! That one was almost as bad as his prediction that Brad Kaaya would be a first round pick and a hall of fame QB. Of course, what do we expect from the guy who also proclaimed that Dan Enos was a great hire?!

Been saying this myself a very long time and if anything it looks less likely than I originally said. Which is zero chance we play.

LMAO at idiots who still think the time of year matters for transmission of this virus. We are in the middle of summer and we are seeing the highest number of cases we have ever seen.

If this board has taught us anything, it’s dumb gonna dumb.

Here in D.C., we have gone four days with no COVID-19 deaths and have seen a big curve from the initial surge. Restaurants are just now starting to open up with limit seating and reservations only. You aren't allowed in anywhere without wearing a mask around 90% of people not minding one bit.

The leader's in the states that did not dismiss the severity of the disease have seen significant down swings and then there are folks that have dismissed this disease and did not jump out in front of this, well....

All people had to do was not politicize a public health issue and follow the guidelines. We are the dumbest smart country on earth

The lack of condemnation by the media of the thousands of "mostly peaceful" protesters and rioters for marching arm and many w/o masks during a pandemic is telling. It reeks of hypocrisy of the first order.
It was predictable that the next goal after the riots quelled was to ratchet up panic regarding this virus again. The median age of those infected has significantly gotten younger over the past month. It is as expected .In Ocala it was age 60 a month ago .It is now 40. The panic about massive increase in deaths is not justified.It has NOT occurred and isn't likely to. The death rate reached a peak of 70 deaths after July 4th in Fla . No 120 deaths did not occur in one day it was added deaths that weren't reported previously . There also has been a dramatic increase in testing numbers.
We have 20 million people in this state . We have had 4300 deaths some of which were probably not due to Covid. Half of them were in Nursing homes. It's time to gain perspective and calm down. Wear a mask when necessary . Stay away from indoor crowds and social distance. But panic -no way.

Last edited:
Reactions: themtnjack
Here in D.C., we have gone four days with no COVID-19 deaths and have seen a big curve from the initial surge. Restaurants are just now starting to open up with limit seating and reservations only. You aren't allowed in anywhere without wearing a mask around 90% of people not minding one bit.

The leader's in the states that did not dismiss the severity of the disease have seen significant down swings and then there are folks that have dismissed this disease and did not jump out in front of this, well....
Lol DC -so smart aren"t they. It is also summer and many people leave the DC area for rural areas in their summer houses. How many businesses lost due to longer shut down.? How about increases in crime? With the higher population density there your cases will spike too when you open up. We are a month further ahead of getting our economy back in Florida than you are. The mayor there is a complete dingbat. With a crime rate of 60 per one thousand residents, Washington has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime there is one in 17.

Reactions: themtnjack
Lol DC -so smart aren"t they. It is also summer and many people leave the DC area for rural areas in their summer houses. How many businesses lost due to longer shut down.? How about increases in crime? With the higher population density there your cases will spike too when you open up. We are a month further ahead of getting our economy back in Florida than you are. The mayor there is a complete dingbat. With a crime rate of 60 per one thousand residents, Washington has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime there is one in 17.

A whole lot better than it was in the early 2000’s.

Sounds like you have it figured out, controlling one of the highest population density in the United States, with 11,570 people per square mile should be a piece of cake, right?

More people less space is generally not a great formula to start with! 700,000 people in a roughly 70 square miles which is a fraction of New York and of course the crime rates going to be high. Not to mention both Maryland and Northern Virginia cross pollinating DC crime rate.

Interested to say how sustainable that jump start on Florida economy?

Visiting, living and owning here in DC rather have to deal with Crime + Downswing Covid than Crime + Covid running rapid.

Also, way to stay on track with the thread topic! Have a good one!

Last edited:
Reactions: JusticeCanes

Also, Congress is still in session therefore there is still a ton of people still in DC, not to mention how many corporations are headquartered here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT