ADVERTISEMENT

King is a real leader

I for one believe politics and social issues should not infect sports. I don't believe in the political statements or propaganda on either side. Sports should be an entertainment and relaxed platform not a political one. I tune in and pay to watch sports and I couldn't care less what any athlete's political or personal leanings are...don't we have enough to fight about? Now we have to politcize sports too?

I for one believe politics and social issues should not infect sports. I don't believe in the political statements or propaganda on either side. Sports should be an entertainment and relaxed platform not a political one. I tune in and pay to watch sports and I couldn't care less what any athlete's political or personal leanings are...don't we have enough to fight about? Now we have to politcize sports too?
Bruh this isn’t politics!!! This is about black men being targeted for every little thing every day... he has the right to display his concerns as a young black male in America.

Bruh this isn’t politics!!! This is about black men being targeted for every little thing every day... he has the right to display his concerns as a young black male in America.
First off, everybody has freedom of speech in this country so if you took my comment to mean people shouldn't express their opinions freely then you are 1000% mistaken because that it exactly what we are doing here. Secondly, it is not the role of a university or a professional sports team to be using a platform we all pay for so players can push their opinions, views or politics (whether right or wrong) on everybody. When you walk into a business, do you ask whether the owners or employees are democrats or republicans before you buy something? Before you buy a car or have a meal at a restaurant do care what the waiter's political views or opinions are? This is not a black white issue so please don't try to turn into one. I agree that black men are often treated unfairly by the law. However, that has ZERO to do with my comments and even less to do with sports. If I want to talk politics or about the many social injustices or religions I don't; agree with then there is a time and a plethora of places to do that. Just turn on the TV or go to a rally. A sporting event that I pay good money to see is not one of those places and I couldn't care less what the players views are on anything other than the game. I watch to disconnect and enjoy something that should unite everybody. I'm not biting the cheese and getting pushed into some hot topic debate.

First off, everybody has freedom of speech in this country so if you took my comment to mean people shouldn't express their opinions freely then you are 1000% mistaken because that it exactly what we are doing here. Secondly, it is not the role of a university or a professional sports team to be using a platform we all pay for so players can push their opinions, views or politics (whether right or wrong) on everybody. When you walk into a business, do you ask whether the owners or employees are democrats or republicans before you buy something? Before you buy a car or have a meal at a restaurant do care what the waiter's political views or opinions are? This is not a black white issue so please don't try to turn into one. I agree that black men are often treated unfairly by the law. However, that has ZERO to do with my comments and even less to do with sports. If I want to talk politics or about the many social injustices or religions I don't; agree with then there is a time and a plethora of places to do that. Just turn on the TV or go to a rally. A sporting event that I pay good money to see is not one of those places and I couldn't care less what the players views are on anything other than the game. I watch to disconnect and enjoy something that should unite everybody. I'm not biting the cheese and getting pushed into some hot topic debate.
I hear what you are saying, but its really harsh to make those opinions when you have never lived a day in the life of an African American. If this is the platform they want to use to express how they feel, I say go for it. As long as its peaceful, then let them express their feelings.

I hear what you are saying, but its really harsh to make those opinions when you have never lived a day in the life of an African American. If this is the platform they want to use to express how they feel, I say go for it. As long as its peaceful, then let them express their feelings.
With all do respect, you don't know anything about me or my life experiences. I'm 100% for all people expressing their individual opinions but I don't use my employer's platform to do it nor does my employer allow it. Why? Because, it is inappropriate and irrelevant to my job and what our clients pay for. Finally, I don't accept virtue signaling by any multi-million business when I pay to a watch sport event. You, me and every person in the world have our individual views and beliefs. However, when I pay to watch a football game. I am paying to watch a football game. I believe the distinction I am making is clear. I'm here to talk Hurricane football.

Would you feel the same if they all wanted to wear MAGA hats on the sidelines to express how they feel? I hardly think so.

Right... but where does it end though?

I'm all for constitutional rights and freedom of speech... but you see what is happening in the NBA right now with players wearing jerseys with political messages and their social points of view on the back instead of their names. Strong statement to say the least... but I hope and pray that this is only for a week or 2 maybe?

I just want to watch some basketball... but now I am forced to see #blacklivesmatter on the back of jerseys. Which is fine... except I can't watch the news... or network shows... or Netflix... or read the internet... or drive down the street... or anything without being reminded the #blacklivesmatter. In my opinion... the message is getting a bit worn out and less impactful.

I think we all got the message... and the conversations have started moving in the right direction and people in high places are taking notice and figuring out how to address the issue and make things right for all... which is truly a wonderful thing.

But where does it end? Just as they have the right to express their freedom of speech how they see fit... I have the right to change the channel. MILLIONS of people are already doing that to the NFL and Nascar and the NBA is soon to follow in my opinion.

The message is now driving people away rather than bringing more attention. Now... Its polarizing. Its divisive. Its tired. We got it! I promise you... there is NO WAY Americans will EVER be able to forget that #blacklivesmatter. The media will continue to cover every single injustice toward black people from now until the end of time, so there should be zero concern that we'll forget as a nation.

CNBC reported today that 4 black girls in Aurora, CO were pulled over because there was a report that the car they were driving in was stolen. They were detained and forced to lay on the ground while the police worked to verify the info and found out they had the wrong vehicle. The girls were released and they and their families received an apology.

CNBC reported that... a network I watch all day in order to keep up with the Markets and business news daily. My point is... if CNBC runs that story, which has NOTHING to do with business or the market... its a safe bet that every media source from this point forward will make sure that there isnt a racially profiled or social injustice incident in America that doesnt go unreported. No need to worry, we will be CONSTANTLY reminded. Forever.

The point has been made... and we are a better Nation for it. Now its time to move FORWARD, TOGETHER in order to try and make things better FOR EVERYONE.

That includes sports fans that wish to use sports as a way to disconnect from the troubles of the world for a few hours. JMHO.

Right... but where does it end though?

I'm all for constitutional rights and freedom of speech... but you see what is happening in the NBA right now with players wearing jerseys with political messages and their social points of view on the back instead of their names. Strong statement to say the least... but I hope and pray that this is only for a week or 2 maybe?

I just want to watch some basketball... but now I am forced to see #blacklivesmatter on the back of jerseys. Which is fine... except I can't watch the news... or network shows... or Netflix... or read the internet... or drive down the street... or anything without being reminded the #blacklivesmatter. In my opinion... the message is getting a bit worn out and less impactful.

I think we all got the message... and the conversations have started moving in the right direction and people in high places are taking notice and figuring out how to address the issue and make things right for all... which is truly a wonderful thing.

But where does it end? Just as they have the right to express their freedom of speech how they see fit... I have the right to change the channel. MILLIONS of people are already doing that to the NFL and Nascar and the NBA is soon to follow in my opinion.

The message is now driving people away rather than bringing more attention. Now... Its polarizing. Its divisive. Its tired. We got it! I promise you... there is NO WAY Americans will EVER be able to forget that #blacklivesmatter. The media will continue to cover every single injustice toward black people from now until the end of time, so there should be zero concern that we'll forget as a nation.

CNBC reported today that 4 black girls in Aurora, CO were pulled over because there was a report that the car they were driving in was stolen. They were detained and forced to lay on the ground while the police worked to verify the info and found out they had the wrong vehicle. The girls were released and they and their families received an apology.

CNBC reported that... a network I watch all day in order to keep up with the Markets and business news daily. My point is... if CNBC runs that story, which has NOTHING to do with business or the market... its a safe bet that every media source from this point forward will make sure that there isnt a racially profiled or social injustice incident in America that doesnt go unreported. No need to worry, we will be CONSTANTLY reminded. Forever.

The point has been made... and we are a better Nation for it. Now its time to move FORWARD, TOGETHER in order to try and make things better FOR EVERYONE.

That includes sports fans that wish to use sports as a way to disconnect from the troubles of the world for a few hours. JMHO.
I think it ends with social justice. We all know what that looks like when we see it.

I think it ends with social justice. We all know what that looks like when we see it.
I agree CD. But signs and monikers do not bring about social justice. Action and policy changes are what lead to social justice. These parrots wearing slogans on their jersey do nothing but cheapen the meaning and dilute the message. Do you think America needs a sportscaster or some athlete to tell them what is going on? I pose the same question that another poster posted earlier in this thread. What if all the athletes had MAGA on the back of their jerseys? Would that be cool? HECK NO. Why? Because people pay to watch basketball not because they care about some political pandering and grandstanding by millionaire athletes who probably don't even fully understand the real issues. These athletes just parrot and copy cat the next guy and the league panders to a segment of fans while turning off the rest. Real change happens at a grass roots social level not because people burn down buildings and statues or wear some catchy political hashtag.

I agree CD. But signs and monikers do not bring about social justice. Action and policy changes are what lead to social justice. These parrots wearing slogans on their jersey do nothing but cheapen the meaning and dilute the message. Do you think America needs a sportscaster or some athlete to tell them what is going on? I pose the same question that another poster posted earlier in this thread. What if all the athletes had MAGA on the back of their jerseys? Would that be cool? HECK NO. Why? Because people pay to watch basketball not because they care about some political pandering and grandstanding by millionaire athletes who probably don't even fully understand the real issues. These athletes just parrot and copy cat the next guy and the league panders to a segment of fans while turning off the rest. Real change happens at a grass roots social level not because people burn down buildings and statues or wear some catchy political hashtag.
Well...I partly agree. It's not one thing in particular no. It's a whole bevy of things. Some people do need an athlete. Some look up to them. Especially kids.

Reactions: Mcosculluela

Well...I partly agree. It's not one thing in particular no. It's a whole bevy of things. Some people do need an athlete. Some look up to them. Especially kids.
Therein lies the problem my learned friend...they should look up to mom and dad instead of some guy on TV that has not invested or spent 1 minute with them. That is a whole other topic but also part of correcting the social injustices. Teach our kids and young people advising them and then acting in accordance with that advice. In my personal experience, sports (football above all) were the one haven in my life were racism was virtually non existent. We were all brothers and all fought together and for one another. Color or ethnic background was not a topic discussion or of any importance when you are all pushing in the same direction and the guys on the other team wanted to take your heads off.

Leader
Therein lies the problem my learned friend...they should look up to mom and dad instead of some guy on TV that has not invested or spent 1 minute with them. That is a whole other topic but also part of correcting the social injustices. Teach our kids and young people advising them and then acting in accordance with that advice. In my personal experience, sports (football above all) were the one haven in my life were racism was virtually non existent. We were all brothers and all fought together and for one another. Color or ethnic background was not a topic discussion or of any importance when you are all pushing in the same direction and the guys on the other team wanted to take your heads off.
Leaders don’t kneel to false identity’s. You only kneel to God. This is about division into groups. They are selling themselves out

Right on! I agree... social justice for all is the end game.

So... how much longer do you think? A week or 2? Certainly cant take much longer considering how we are constantly being bashed over the head with it.

anybody still miss Jarren Williams as our QB ?

Last season was a shitshow top to bottom, minus a few i.e. DeeJay Dallas etc.

Leader

Leaders don’t kneel to false identity’s. You only kneel to God. This is about division into groups. They are selling themselves out
Amén. To God should go the glory in all things. These pandering vain peacock celebrities and athletes are all millionaires while they push their empty woke rhetoric. Easy to be woke when you sleep on silk sheets.

anybody still miss Jarren Williams as our QB ?

Last season was a shitshow top to bottom, minus a few i.e. DeeJay Dallas etc.
What does it say when the kid couldn’t even transfer to another D1 university? Kid had to go JUCO for a reason. That was the leader of our locker room.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT