ADVERTISEMENT

Rumors in Atlanta

Sooo is this how “Good” cops deal with the bad apples they claim they all themselves hate? Lol. Let them go. Make sure you leave your pensions behind as well. Good riddance!

Promote from within with good officers, New recruits can be trained in 6 Mo, Hire vets, and officers can be hired away from other parts of the country. This is a country of 330 million we can find police officers....
Why don't you go become one

I'll jump in with a question because I'm curious as well and this is a pretty civil conversation..

So in the above quote you utilize population percentages. According to the latest census black people make up 13% of population and whites, not Hispanic, make up 60%. A valid argument.

But now in this argument for why the over policing of black neighborhoods you go back to a same straight line comparison of population irregardless of per capita.

According to the FBI murder statistics from 2013 which is a bit old but the newest government database I could find with a 2 second search. Black people committed 2,698 out of 5,723 murders in that year, or 47%.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u....f_vicitm_by_race_and_sex_of_offender_2013.xls

If we use a comparison of like data (per capita population compared to per capita murders compared to per capita chance of being shot by a police office) all else being equal the data seems to say black people are shot by cops less often than you would expect.

I do agree with your statement that "Whites usually get lesser sentences for similar crimes and criminal history." but doubt that is the case for murder.
And Trump is the first President to address the sentencing disparity that Biden voted for.

Reactions: orly 1022
Lol, you so damn Blind. Its good that Cop got arrested and I give a damn if those cops walk off they jobs like crybabies, and I've told you before dont speak on sht you don't understand. Racsim was a word invented to describe white Suspramcey. You see the BS that go on right in front of you! You care about a uniform, a badge, and name more then black and brown lives. FOH
Good next time you get arrested for something that directly contradicts what the actual law is I will make sure I turn a blind eye. (Sarcasm)

well it’s not disingenuous when the article from 2016 referred to unarmed people killed by cops.

second I understand about what’s going on in Chicago or black on black crime. As a black man I don’t like it at all. I wish they would stop. It’s a stupid and horrible gang war. And we are trying to correct the issue. But we need help.

whites have a problem which kill 100 white people per day, the opioid epidemic. Whites are killing themselves at an alarming rate. The difference is the local and federal government have stepped in and are trying to help the situation. They noticed it affected those Who are in many of these different categories some fit in multiple: the poor, jobless, less educated, mental health issues amongst many other things. they understood it’s not just about keeping them off the opioids. You had to help solve all the other issues to solve the overall issues.

those same issues are prominent in the black community which leads to crime. We need help to address those issues. Help end the despair in the black community so we can improve our homes. Like they are doing with whites....

both communities have people killing themselves at an alarming rate. We all wish we could stop our own people from killing themselves.

Funny you mention opioid issues. I actually worked on the NSDUH study for about 1 year which is the quarterly project to study Americans and understand trends in drug and alcohol use throughout the country. Very interesting project.

I think jobs have been there if you want them, they may not be great but taking that step and working hard at a crappy job is the first step in advancing in life.

In all low income people no matter their race the prevailing thought that needs to change is one from I have some extra money so I need to spend it now and buy that new iPhone, car I can't afford, TV, etc because I may not have that money tomorrow to saving and building for the future (that applies to most Americans actually).

I'm with you those issues you mentioned are huge and can, in my opinion, be rectified with proper education, both financial and better K-12 resources.

Our education system continually falls behind the rest of the world and the standards coming out with no one being able to read or write is atrocious. Without education nothing changes.

Funny you mention opioid issues. I actually worked on the NSDUH study for about 1 year which is the quarterly project to study Americans and understand trends in drug and alcohol use throughout the country. Very interesting project.

I think jobs have been there if you want them, they may not be great but taking that step and working hard at a crappy job is the first step in advancing in life.

In all low income people no matter their race the prevailing thought that needs to change is one from I have some extra money so I need to spend it now and buy that new iPhone, car I can't afford, TV, etc because I may not have that money tomorrow to saving and building for the future (that applies to most Americans actually).

I'm with you those issues you mentioned are huge and can, in my opinion, be rectified with proper education, both financial and better K-12 resources.

Our education system continually falls behind the rest of the world and the standards coming out with no one being able to read or write is atrocious. Without education nothing changes.
Quite often in liberal run cities.

can you stop with that. Of the 11 poorest states in the country 10 of them have routinely voted republican. Is that an indictment on republicans???? Stop with the red/blue stuff!!!
We are talking education in the inner cities. Remember, in order to make changes within the black community, we need more self accountability and an end to victim culture. Deflection is not self accountability.

Yes there are (well before) jobs out out there. Granted you gotta work your way up but it’s a start. We also should bump up minimum wage some. Adj for inflation the minimum wage is lower than it was in 1965! I’d like $15 but could live with $12. I know the argument on lifting the minimum wage but we are subsidizing large companies to have workers. Cuz if they make $8.50 an hr at Walmart and have to go out and get Medicaid and food stamps we are paying that as tax payers to subsidize Walmart employees.

We need universal pre k as well. Educational outcomes are greatly affected by that. I’m also big on vocational schools. Not everyone is gonna be a lawyer or a doctor. But we need car repair guys especially learning how to fix all these new electric cars. Solar panel installation and maintenance, get the coal miners out of the mine and put them in natural gas exploration and mining, electricians, Plummers, etc. teach people a trade!

Education needs to be reformed as well. One new stat I learned that is kinda scary for me is that whites with high school diplomas make more than blacks with a college education.

crazy!

Not saying this is false because I dont know but I feel highly skeptical of that stat. Curious the perimeters of the study.

https://research.stlouisfed.org/pub...mulates-wealth-for-whites-and-not-for-blacks/

you can google this and a ton of articles pop up. This study was done by federal reserve bank of St. Louis branch. 89-2014 they studied it.

white high school drop outs make more than blacks with college degrees!! If that doesn’t shout that there’s something wrong with our system I don’t know what does

https://research.stlouisfed.org/pub...mulates-wealth-for-whites-and-not-for-blacks/

you can google this and a ton of articles pop up. This study was done by federal reserve bank of St. Louis branch. 89-2014 they studied it.

white high school drop outs make more than blacks with college degrees!! If that doesn’t shout that there’s something wrong with our system I don’t know what does
My son has an associates degree in Sociology. He works doing inventory for stores. Some of these degrees are basically worthless. The real issue is why so many jobs require a college degree in the first place. My wife worked her way up from the bottom of the mortgage business to end up running a company out here in Salt Lake. She has no college degree and would be passed over for the job now days simply for not having a diploma.

Reactions: zackbear

Thanks for sharing, interesting stuff for sure. I read the whole thing and a couple of the articles cited. After reading it I don't think they say white high school drop outs make less than blacks with college degrees, they are saying the "wealth" is more which the study focuses a lot on the parents having money and passing it down in inheritances etc.

"Hamilton et al. (2015) point out that Black households with college-educated heads have 33 percent less wealth than White households headed by high school dropouts."

But that doesn't mean the thought isn't true, just not that glaring. Education still matters regardless of race but there are clear discrepancies in lifetime earnings

"A Pew study (Pew Research Center, 2014) finds that among Millennials (ages 25 to 32 in 2013), those with a bachelor’s degree had median earnings of $45,500, more than $17,000 more than their peers with only a high school diploma. Lifetime earnings for those with a college degree are expected to be about $1 million more than for those with a high school diploma (Carnevale, Rose, and Cheah, 2011; Day and Newburger, 2002). While the million-dollar return from college is true for all racial groups, total expected earnings for Blacks and Latinos are lower than for Whites and Asians at all education levels. Across the education spectrum, lifetime earnings of Latinos and Blacks are 34 percent and 23 percent lower, respectively, than those of Whites. Even among those with bachelor’s and advanced degrees, lifetime earnings of Blacks and Latinos are 20 percent or more lower than those of similarly educated Whites—a gap of approximately $480,000 (Carnevale et al., 2011)."

That study reinforces my earlier point that the biggest issue for lower income demographics is the inability to save money and spend it when you have it.

Another huge issue and I would love to hear your thoughts on this is the idea of "abandoning your family" once you do exit the cycle of poverty. According to this study that is the largest reason black people are unable to generate significant wealth because they're taking care of everyone else.

"Specifically, during the Great Recession, college-educated White families lost only 16 percent of their net wealth compared with 32 percent for White families without a college degree, while college-educated Black families lost nearly 60 percent of their net wealth compared with 37 percent for less-educated Black families. One possible explanation for this non-intuitive finding lies in studies showing that extended kin networks are important avenues for wealth transmission in the Black community; that is, Blacks who have “made it” into the middle class are still tied to family members struggling to get by and provide loans and other monetary support to them (Chiteji and Hamilton, 2005). O’Brien (2012) tested this hypothesis and found that middle- class Blacks are indeed more likely to provide informal financial assistance to extended networks, depleting their own wealth accumulation capacity through “negative social capital.” Thus, it is possible that college-educated Blacks transferred a significant amount of wealth to family networks"

And this isn't just a black thing. I've seen it in my own family. My father is the only person in his family to have a college degree and he didn't get it until he was 40 years old. My uncles / aunts are alcoholics, drug addicts, and in and out of jail. My cousins are stuck in the cycle of poverty as well with multiple kids and no education past high school. One of my female cousins disappeared 3 years ago and we believe got forced into sex trafficking.

The only reason we made it out of the that cycle was my father met my mom and they decided to cut themselves off from that part of the family. They would send money for food and buy school clothes for my cousins but at the end of the day they had to make it for themselves because no one else in the family wanted to do anything to make themselves better.

Does it suck? Sure, but I think the black culture of taking care results in no one being taken care of.

Yes there are (well before) jobs out out there. Granted you gotta work your way up but it’s a start. We also should bump up minimum wage some. Adj for inflation the minimum wage is lower than it was in 1965! I’d like $15 but could live with $12. I know the argument on lifting the minimum wage but we are subsidizing large companies to have workers. Cuz if they make $8.50 an hr at Walmart and have to go out and get Medicaid and food stamps we are paying that as tax payers to subsidize Walmart employees.

We need universal pre k as well. Educational outcomes are greatly affected by that. I’m also big on vocational schools. Not everyone is gonna be a lawyer or a doctor. But we need car repair guys especially learning how to fix all these new electric cars. Solar panel installation and maintenance, get the coal miners out of the mine and put them in natural gas exploration and mining, electricians, Plummers, etc. teach people a trade!

Education needs to be reformed as well. One new stat I learned that is kinda scary for me is that whites with high school diplomas make more than blacks with a college education.

crazy!

You hit the nail on the head with the vocational school comment. My niece has her bachelor's degree and is a secretary at a real estate company. Projecting that working as a mechanic, HVAC, electrician, etc. is somehow a bad profession is just nonsense. Very many of the people employed in these professions are doing very well financially. Mike Rowe does some great stuff in regards to this.

Thanks for sharing, interesting stuff for sure. I read the whole thing and a couple of the articles cited. After reading it I don't think they say white high school drop outs make less than blacks with college degrees, they are saying the "wealth" is more which the study focuses a lot on the parents having money and passing it down in inheritances etc.

"Hamilton et al. (2015) point out that Black households with college-educated heads have 33 percent less wealth than White households headed by high school dropouts."

But that doesn't mean the thought isn't true, just not that glaring. Education still matters regardless of race but there are clear discrepancies in lifetime earnings

"A Pew study (Pew Research Center, 2014) finds that among Millennials (ages 25 to 32 in 2013), those with a bachelor’s degree had median earnings of $45,500, more than $17,000 more than their peers with only a high school diploma. Lifetime earnings for those with a college degree are expected to be about $1 million more than for those with a high school diploma (Carnevale, Rose, and Cheah, 2011; Day and Newburger, 2002). While the million-dollar return from college is true for all racial groups, total expected earnings for Blacks and Latinos are lower than for Whites and Asians at all education levels. Across the education spectrum, lifetime earnings of Latinos and Blacks are 34 percent and 23 percent lower, respectively, than those of Whites. Even among those with bachelor’s and advanced degrees, lifetime earnings of Blacks and Latinos are 20 percent or more lower than those of similarly educated Whites—a gap of approximately $480,000 (Carnevale et al., 2011)."

That study reinforces my earlier point that the biggest issue for lower income demographics is the inability to save money and spend it when you have it.

Another huge issue and I would love to hear your thoughts on this is the idea of "abandoning your family" once you do exit the cycle of poverty. According to this study that is the largest reason black people are unable to generate significant wealth because they're taking care of everyone else.

"Specifically, during the Great Recession, college-educated White families lost only 16 percent of their net wealth compared with 32 percent for White families without a college degree, while college-educated Black families lost nearly 60 percent of their net wealth compared with 37 percent for less-educated Black families. One possible explanation for this non-intuitive finding lies in studies showing that extended kin networks are important avenues for wealth transmission in the Black community; that is, Blacks who have “made it” into the middle class are still tied to family members struggling to get by and provide loans and other monetary support to them (Chiteji and Hamilton, 2005). O’Brien (2012) tested this hypothesis and found that middle- class Blacks are indeed more likely to provide informal financial assistance to extended networks, depleting their own wealth accumulation capacity through “negative social capital.” Thus, it is possible that college-educated Blacks transferred a significant amount of wealth to family networks"

And this isn't just a black thing. I've seen it in my own family. My father is the only person in his family to have a college degree and he didn't get it until he was 40 years old. My uncles / aunts are alcoholics, drug addicts, and in and out of jail. My cousins are stuck in the cycle of poverty as well with multiple kids and no education past high school. One of my female cousins disappeared 3 years ago and we believe got forced into sex trafficking.

The only reason we made it out of the that cycle was my father met my mom and they decided to cut themselves off from that part of the family. They would send money for food and buy school clothes for my cousins but at the end of the day they had to make it for themselves because no one else in the family wanted to do anything to make themselves better.

Does it suck? Sure, but I think the black culture of taking care results in no one being taken care of.
Haha, gotta love you owning him by his own source after he tried to take it out of context. Good work.

Haha, gotta love you owning him by his own source after he tried to take it out of context. Good work.

C'mon man. We agree on a lot of stuff related to Covid but this is silly. When people engage in respectful, thoughtful, open dialogue it should be treated as informational and not trying to "own" someone.

When someone goes full heel and just makes stuff up I'm all for the attacks but this isn't it.

Gotta love @deuce1906 running away from this.

And dude probably is at work or having a life. We don't all sit on the keyboard all day. Although now we do more than ever with all this fake work from home BS.

Gotta love @deuce1906 running away from this.

I am usually with you on these things, and when its CD, have at it! But, deuce has been pretty respectful throughout this whole thing. I appreciate that as it can make for a productive back and forth. Still love ya MC!!

I am usually with you on these things, and when its CD, have at it! But, deuce has been pretty respectful throughout this whole thing. I appreciate as it can make for a productive back and forth. Still love ya MC!!
He deflects way too much like CD. He still runs away when faced with real questions.

He deflects way too much like CD. He still runs away when faced with real questions.

Maybe, but I didn't see that here. In fact I am not sure I recall seeing him in other discussions (which only means I am getting old). Just saying dude, he has handled this particular situation with class best I can tell. Even when we disagree I wish we could have more discussions like this. In fact, one of my main complaints with the left is there seems to be an unwillingness to discuss, and in the end if you don't agree they vilify. That didn't happen here either.

One more thing; there is only one CD, and no one comes close to him in hypocrisy and despicableness.

Maybe, but I didn't see that here. In fact I am not sure I recall seeing him in other discussions (which only means I am getting old). Just saying dude, he has handled this particular situation with class best I can tell. Even when we disagree I wish we could have more discussions like this. In fact, one of my main complaints with the left is there seems to be an unwillingness to discuss, and in the end if you don't agree they vilify. That didn't happen here either.

One more thing; there is only one CD, and no one comes close to him in hypocrisy and despicableness.
CD even knows he’s full of sh-t! He just doesn’t care. Deuce has always been respectful even in disagreements.

I was at work. My job doesn’t allow me to be on my phone all day. I’ll jump back on in a bit to talk further....

Far from running away

micheal Irvin talked about this a long time ago. About how when he first got paid people asked him for money or came with a business idea and a lot of the time he gave them the money. His response was “I remember being hungry in the hood and I’d go to my friends house and tell his mom I was hungry and she would make him a sandwich with the last pieces of bread they had in their house. So years later when I got money and he comes and ask me for help how can I say no when his mom literally gave me the last piece of food they had in their house to feed me” it’s true that we don’t hold wealth or at times spend it on dumb ish. A lot of that comes from financial illiteracy. We aren’t though these things. When I first started out in my career I had a mentor who taught me how to set myself up. How to budget, invest, and save. A lot of us don’t know that. I’ve been working hard to take those same nuggets i was given and teach it to my fellow colleagues. It goes a loooong way to know these things.

My son has an associates degree in Sociology. He works doing inventory for stores. Some of these degrees are basically worthless. The real issue is why so many jobs require a college degree in the first place. My wife worked her way up from the bottom of the mortgage business to end up running a company out here in Salt Lake. She has no college degree and would be passed over for the job now days simply for not having a diploma.

you’re right. If you got a job In the 70s, 80s, and 90s you could grow into a company and work your way up the ladder. Much harder to do it now. These a book by Steven brill which talks about how the baby boomer generation benefitted from low college tuition in the 60s and 70s. Took their earnings and invested in the booming stock market of the 80s made money then their generation took over government and basically locked all the doors behind them and made it harder for the younger generation to rise. It’s still evident today when most leaders from both side of the isle are in their late 60s and 70s and refuse to give up power to the younger generation.

micheal Irvin talked about this a long time ago. About how when he first got paid people asked him for money or came with a business idea and a lot of the time he gave them the money. His response was “I remember being hungry in the hood and I’d go to my friends house and tell his mom I was hungry and she would make him a sandwich with the last pieces of bread they had in their house. So years later when I got money and he comes and ask me for help how can I say no when his mom literally gave me the last piece of food they had in their house to feed me” it’s true that we don’t hold wealth or at times spend it on dumb ish. A lot of that comes from financial illiteracy. We aren’t though these things. When I first started out in my career I had a mentor who taught me how to set myself up. How to budget, invest, and save. A lot of us don’t know that. I’ve been working hard to take those same nuggets i was given and teach it to my fellow colleagues. It goes a loooong way to know these things.

I am 1000x on board with financial literacy and better education about money. If you ever want help with that aspect you let me know and I’m down anytime and anywhere.

or his daughters birthday was the very next day and he didn’t wanna be in jail for the weekend.....
Maybe he should’ve thought about that before he drove drunk. Why have we forgotten as a society they our actions have consequences? It’s a lack of parenting across the board or are we failing as a society to teach our children responsibility?

Maybe he should’ve thought about that before he drove drunk. Why have we forgotten as a society they our actions have consequences? It’s a lack of parenting across the board or are we failing as a society to teach our children responsibility?

he passed the field sobriety test, they had him blow in the breathalyzer for 15 min. Until he finally blew over. That’s not normal. But you’re right you shouldn’t drive intoxicated. My overall point in all of this is we as citizens face consequences for our misdeeds so should police officers....

he passed the field sobriety test, they had him blow in the breathalyzer for 15 min. Until he finally blew over. That’s not normal. But you’re right you shouldn’t drive intoxicated. My overall point in all of this is we as citizens face consequences for our misdeeds so should police officers....
But passing out in the drive thru lane is OK? That’s normal or not?

Lmao who told you that?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT