ADVERTISEMENT

Russia - Ukraine, why should we care?

central17

SuperCane
Jan 31, 2005
Not a drop of US blood or treasure should be lost over the Ukraine-Russia conflict. The only thing we can be sure of is that neither political party nor the US media is telling the entire truth.

What we do know is that it is a conflict between two corrupt eastern European neighbors.
We also know Hunter Biden and "the big guy" received millions into their personal bank accounts from both sides.
We know that the people handling this situation are the same people that surrendered to the Taliban in Afghanistan.
We know those same people have turned a blind eye as Afghans have been slaughtered and its entire female population turned into little more than sex slaves.
We know Putin has nukes.
We know that Putin is making more money every day as the price of oil skyrockets.
We know that under Biden the US is no longer energy independent, no less not being able to sell to the Europeans.
We know Biden does not care about the sovereignty of the US southern border.

Now as to the "invation" of Ukrainian sovereign territory
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/2/5/ukraine-who-controls-what
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/2/22/putin-gets-green-light-to-deploy-troops-to-eastern-ukraine

When choosing to find information from sources other than NYT, WAPO, CNN and Fox it is amazing what you can learn. Sad when Al Jazeera is a more trusted source of information than NBC. Listen to MSM and you would think Cuba had invaded Jamaica. But it turns out that the Donbas region, while officially part of Ukraine has been autonomous for several years. The people in the region do not want to be ruled by Ukraine. They have much more affinity for Russia.

Frankly I am sick of being told we should care about either place. Both are corrupt. Neither is worth a penny more a gallon to me. It appears this entire situation is going to end up like Crimea several years ago. The Crimeans appear OK to be part of Russia. Happier than most Canadians are to be ruled by Comrade Trudeau. It would not surprise me if more people are killed in Chicago this weekend than all month by the Russia-Ukraine conflict. Certainly there will be more Fentanyl related deaths from "Southern Border Drug Cartel Inc." than this neighborhood squabble.

Other than the Russian Nukes, why should US citizens care? Is this just a "wag the dog" to deflect attention from the horrific Biden economy?

Not a drop of US blood or treasure should be lost over the Ukraine-Russia conflict. The only thing we can be sure of is that neither political party nor the US media is telling the entire truth.

What we do know is that it is a conflict between two corrupt eastern European neighbors.
We also know Hunter Biden and "the big guy" received millions into their personal bank accounts from both sides.
We know that the people handling this situation are the same people that surrendered to the Taliban in Afghanistan.
We know those same people have turned a blind eye as Afghans have been slaughtered and its entire female population turned into little more than sex slaves.
We know Putin has nukes.
We know that Putin is making more money every day as the price of oil skyrockets.
We know that under Biden the US is no longer energy independent, no less not being able to sell to the Europeans.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/2/22/putin-gets-green-light-to-deploy-troops-to-eastern-ukraine

When choosing to find information from sources other than NYT, WAPO, CNN and Fox it is amazing what you can learn. Sad when Al Jazeera is a more trusted source of information than NBC. Listen to MSM and you would think Cuba had invaded Jamaica. But it turns out that the Donbas region, while officially part of Ukraine has been autonomous for several years. The people in the region do not want to be ruled by Ukraine. They have much more affinity for Russia.

Frankly I am sick of being told we should care about either place. Both are corrupt. Neither is worth a penny more a gallon to me. It appears this entire situation is going to end up like Crimea several years ago. The Crimeans appear OK to be part of Russia. Happier than most Canadians are to be ruled by Comrade Trudeau. It would not surprise me if more people are killed in Chicago this weekend than all month by the Russia-Ukraine conflict. Certainly there will be more Fentanyl related deaths from "Southern Border Drug Cartel Inc." than this neighborhood squabble.

Other than the Russian Nukes, why should US citizens care? Is this just a "wag the dog" to deflect attention from the horrific Biden economy?
Well said...I as well do not care at all what happens. Very little if no strategic value to the U.S.
If anything bothers me would be the loss of innocent life due to collateral damage.
News reports claim gas prices will spike due to this conflict. If so, somehow the Bidens are profiting from this.
Hey, Kamala is involved, we are in good hands!🤮

Agree entirely.
Since when has Ukraine been the beacon of democrat virtue? It’s a corrupt country.

Brandon is imposing sanctions on us , not on Russia. Increasing inflation, depressing the stock market, increasing gas prices .
Then he increases our expenses by sending troops to countries that are not in harms way
Putin has made his position clear.
He will not be deterred. He will be able to sell all the oil and gas he can produce. It’s an internationally traded commodity.

My fear is that Brandon’s response to his horrible polling will be to increase our involvement militarily.
The liberal networks are fueling the hysteria and actively supporting a more direct military involvement
Trump/Pompao is right .
Putin is a smart Cookie, someone who is outsmarting Brandon. Of course the libs misinterpret and twist this and say it’s pro Putin
No , it’s just reality
It’s not our fight

We know Putin has nukes.

Putin is trying to bolster his legacy by reacquiring countries of the old Soviet Union. He won't stop until he is met with resistance. Do we just stand by idly and allow him to invade one country after another? If he succeeds in dominating Ukraine, he won't stop there. We've seen this play out before!

Putin is trying to bolster his legacy by reacquiring countries of the old Soviet Union. He won't stop until he is met with resistance. Do we just stand by idly and allow him to invade one country after another? If he succeeds in dominating Ukraine, he won't stop there. We've seen this play out before!
Seems to me our allegiance it to NATO countries, not Ukraine or the Balkans. Biden opened the door by cancelling Keystone and allowing Nord Stream 2. Also, I thought we stopped being the world's protector. No more nation building.

Putin does want to control the Ukraine, but by controlling their government, not by being their government.
Every nation is going to look out for its self interest. US did not want Russian missiles in Cuba. I don't think US would be happy with Chinese missiles in Canada. With Trudeau in charge?????

To really understand this situation, follow the money. Putin is making huge oil and gas money without firing a shot. A a lot of US money has already been made by sending NATO high dollar weapons to the Ukraine. Those weapons will need to be replenished. Who do think is bankrolling Liz Cheney? Not people in Wyoming.
And of course Hunter and "the big guy" got paid by both sides

We know Putin has nukes.

Is this just a "wag the dog" to deflect attention from the horrific Biden economy?

Absolutely

Putin does want to control the Ukraine, but by controlling their government, not by being their government.
Every nation is going to look out for its self interest. US did not want Russian missiles in Cuba. I don't think US would be happy with Chinese missiles in Canada. With Trudeau in charge?????

To really understand this situation, follow the money. Putin is making huge oil and gas money without firing a shot. A a lot of US money has already been made by sending NATO high dollar weapons to the Ukraine. Those weapons will need to be replenished. Who do think is bankrolling Liz Cheney? Not people in Wyoming.
And of course Hunter and "the big guy" got paid by both sides
Wait a minute. Who are you suggesting is funding Cheney?

Is this just a "wag the dog" to deflect attention from the horrific Biden economy?

Absolutely
Of course !
And the liberal networks are pushing the narrative. They are broadcasting non stop to create a crisis, to divert attention, crush our economy and redistribute wealth.
We should be reaching out to Putin .
He’s very transparent.
He’s not hiding anything
As Trump said . Having good relations with Russia is a good thing , not a bad thing.
They are not a real threat to our way of life or economy. China - they can bury us financially with our own money and technology
They have been stealing our$ and intellectual property for years .
Russia? Not so much

Seems to me our allegiance it to NATO countries, not Ukraine or the Balkans. Biden opened the door by cancelling Keystone and allowing Nord Stream 2. Also, I thought we stopped being the world's protector. No more nation building.
So where would you draw a line? You think we should just stand by and watch Putin claim every country of the old Soviet Union and our allegiance is to NATO countries, four of which share borders with Ukraine.

Last edited:
Putin is trying to bolster his legacy by reacquiring countries of the old Soviet Union. He won't stop until he is met with resistance. Do we just stand by idly and allow him to invade one country after another? If he succeeds in dominating Ukraine, he won't stop there. We've seen this play out before! As with Georgia and Crimea he always claims his troops are there for "peace keeping functions".

17 et al,

Your position on Ukraine precisely highlights the sharp struggle within the GOP re the role of the US in foreign affairs. Traditional Republicans of the last 50 years have favored a muscular foreign policy where the US will lead and step in if necessary to protect our interest, defeat autocrats and insure the peace. Reagan and Bush I and II exemplify this wing.

Under the more populist “America First” banner of DJT, Trumps Republicans are suspicious of foreign involvement and are content to let other countries fight it out when US interests are less directly at stake. This recalls Republican isolationism of the 1920-30s when “staying out of foreign wars” was a powerful rallying point for the GOP. That isolationism ended at Pearl Harbor and immediately thereafter when Hitler also declared war on the US. We had no choice.

This GOP split is on full display in Ohio today where the 2 key Republican candidates for the open Senate seat have polar opposite views. One agrees with 17 (and Tucker Carlson) that we have no business in Ukraine. The other endorses a more traditional view that we can’t appease Putin and expect him just to stop invading places. Who will win the primary?

Im old but not so old that I can remember the GOP isolationists of the 30’s. Is that the new dominant brand of GOP foreign policy?

So where would you draw a line? You think we should just stand by and watch Putin claim every country of the old Soviet Union and our allegiance is to NATO countries, four of which share borders with Ukraine. Our troops are there not Ukraine and NATO countries have an obligation to protect its members.

The answer to your question about standing by while Putin reacquires Soviet Union countries one by one is going to become a NATO issue. I think the Biden decision makers (and you know I don't believe he is calling the shots) are going to take credit for whatever they can and negative fallout becomes NATO problem. This is not a good situation with the weakness we have already shown
17 et al,

Your position on Ukraine precisely highlights the sharp struggle within the GOP re the role of the US in foreign affairs. Traditional Republicans of the last 50 years have favored a muscular foreign policy where the US will lead and step in if necessary to protect our interest, defeat autocrats and insure the peace. Reagan and Bush I and II exemplify this wing.

Under the more populist “America First” banner of DJT, Trumps Republicans are suspicious of foreign involvement and are content to let other countries fight it out when US interests are less directly at stake. This recalls Republican isolationism of the 1920-30s when “staying out of foreign wars” was a powerful rallying point for the GOP. That isolationism ended at Pearl Harbor and immediately thereafter when Hitler also declared war on the US. We had no choice.

This GOP split is on full display in Ohio today where the 2 key Republican candidates for the open Senate seat have polar opposite views. One agrees with 17 (and Tucker Carlson) that we have no business in Ukraine. The other endorses a more traditional view that we can’t appease Putin and expect him just to stop invading places. Who will win the primary?

Im old but not so old that I can remember the GOP isolationists of the 30’s. Is that the new dominant brand of GOP foreign policy?
Trouble with this dissertation is the GOP in not in power. Our leadership (if you want to call it that) is poor and the world knows it. Biden is weak, Cameltoe is a joke and Blinken is way over his head. Tough situation because Putin will not back down. The sanctions are late in the game and probably ineffective. To be honest, my greatest fear is China offering Putin financial support. Then we'll be in a real shit show

Mike, I added a couple of posts but honestly, I don't have an answer regarding what we should do. Unfortunately, neither does the Biden administration. What's your answer???

Wait a minute. Who are you suggesting is funding Cheney?

Peeps bankrolling Cheney live in Jackson Hole/Teton County to answer your question in Wyoming. The Californian’s took over that county in the late 80s/early 90s as it was a dusty, little cowboy town before then.

So, what does Wyoming have to do with Russia taking Ukraine
I was replying to whom is part of the bankrolling of Cheney. Brandon needs Cheney in his back pocket especially if the administration decides to become energy independent again as we were under DJT.

Mike, I added a couple of posts but honestly, I don't have an answer regarding what we should do. Unfortunately, neither does the Biden administration. What's your answer???
I think the Biden administration is handling this properly. We are deploying troops to neighboring NATO allies and applying sanctions that will have a significant impact on the Russian economy. I also don't think those troops and NATO allies will stand by and watch a Russian invasion. In the next few days there will be roughly 7,000 U.S. troops as well as aircraft mobilized in the Baltic states, Poland, Romania and other sites.

Last edited:
Reactions: cortez55403
I think the Biden administration is handling this properly. We are deploying troops to neighboring NATO allies and applying sanctions that will have a significant impact on the Russian economy. I also don't think those troops and NATO allies will stand by and watch a Russian invasion. In the next few days there will be roughly 7,000 U.S. troops as well as aircraft mobilized in the Baltic states, Poland, Romania and other sites. I also know you will bash Biden no matter what he does as you have just stated that he has no answer despite the actions he's already taken.

Don't disagree with the thought however let the EU deal with it. No American blood lost.

Reactions: dolcane
So where would you draw a line? You think we should just stand by and watch Putin claim every country of the old Soviet Union and our allegiance is to NATO countries, four of which share borders with Ukraine.
No, let the Brits, French, Italians, and every other European country deal with Putin, not us.

Reactions: grbcane
17 et al,

Why wouldn't any American not be in favor of not putting American service members in harms way?

Reactions: grbcane and ZEKEMUG
I think the Biden administration is handling this properly. We are deploying troops to neighboring NATO allies and applying sanctions that will have a significant impact on the Russian economy. I also don't think those troops and NATO allies will stand by and watch a Russian invasion. In the next few days there will be roughly 7,000 U.S. troops as well as aircraft mobilized in the Baltic states, Poland, Romania and other sites.
Who cares where we pitch our tents as long as it's not within firing range of the Russians in the Ukraine. Now if a NATO country is attacked we will be all in. Let's hope that Putin is smarter than that.

Who cares where we pitch our tents as long as it's not within firing range of the Russians in the Ukraine. Now if a NATO country is attacked we will be all in. Let's hope that Putin is smarter than that.
Putin doesn’t want a war with the USA.
Actually he was about to do a major deal with Exxon before the 2016 hysteria, then they backed off
He does want to create a buffer between the west ( NATO ) and Russia
Didn’t we almost go to war back in 1962 ( I remember ) when the Soviets were going to place Nukes in Cuba ? Russia has the same objection.
Crimea is gone , no getting that back for Ukraine. It’s people are mostly Russian
The two regions Russia is now claiming is also mostly Russian, the exact boundaries will be negotiated.
But all this is not our concern.
Putin has this view that three countries, Ukraine, Belo Russia and Russia are all derived from the same people, the ancient Rus . The languages and customs are very similar. Nikita Khrushchev was in born right outside Ukraine and grew up in the Donbass .

Putin is convinced that having Ukraine as a NATO member and US ally is not in his best interest.
We can continue to dismiss his views as extreme and outlandish. His weapons and delivery systems for those weapons are not outlandish
He’s a tough guy , a brute , hard nosed , but dismissing him would be a big mistake

Peeps bankrolling Cheney live in Jackson Hole/Teton County to answer your question in Wyoming. The Californian’s took over that county in the late 80s/early 90s as it was a dusty, little cowboy town before then.
Liz Cheney has always been bankrolled by military arms sellers. Remember that is the family business. Selling weapons systems for 7,8,9 figure$ a pop leaves lots of margin for "campaign contributions" to a well connected congress person. The weapons systems sent to Ukraine were not paid for by the BLM go fund me page. Trump had the audacity to cut funding for stuff that did not work. Trump was such a jerk, he actually believed that if the taxpayers funded a weapons system, it should be effective.

Sorry guys, sometimes this stuff is not as simple as one party good, the other party bad. Follow the money!

17 et al,

Under the more populist “America First” banner of DJT, Trumps Republicans are suspicious of foreign involvement and are content to let other countries fight it out when US interests are less directly at stake. This recalls Republican isolationism of the 1920-30s when “staying out of foreign wars” was a powerful rallying point for the GOP. That isolationism ended at Pearl Harbor and immediately thereafter when Hitler also declareddd war on the US. We had no choice.

Cortez,
That was a long and wonky diatribe to attempt to change the subject from the basic truth. The Ukraine Russia conflict is an international money grab of which the Biden administration is attempting to use to deflect attention from its failed policies. Wag the Dog!

How much does a SAM missile cost?

S-400 missile system
S-400 Triumf NATO reporting name: SA-21 Growler
DesignerAlmaz-Antey
ManufacturerFakel Machine-Building Design Bureau
Unit cost$300 million per System

Reactions: grbcane

We know Putin has nukes.

Because he won’t stop. Go back to the germans taking over country after country in the forties. This guy has bad things in mind. Talk to any body that grew up in the cold war era. Russia needs to be nipped in the bud before they’re to big to be stopped in their pursuit of a world war. They’re going to keep pushing/concurring. The longer we put off the conflict the more lives will be lost in the long run.

how much do you want to bet that if a republican is pres in the next election that they’re either going to be labeled as too chicken to go to war with russia or a war monger? The situation needs to be dealt with now. More the can is kicked down the road with these guys the worse it’s going to get.

Last edited:
Any attempt to excuse the actions of Putin here is derangement . This is an invasion of a Sovereign country. KVIV is a beautiful city. Now there are explosions going on there tonight. After his statement of 2 days ago the Balkan States under NATO could be threatened. This is serious stuff and shouldn't be minimized.
Europe has been weakened by leftist government as we have here. We have generals more concerned about rainbow flags and pregnant jumpsuits than protecting the country. Putin knows it and and its why he is making his move. Russia will have mass executions of Ukraine's political leaders they will usurp the country economically like they did under Stalin. Its a bad scene and anyone thinking its no big deal are dead wrong.

Any attempt to excuse the actions of Putin here is derangement . This is an invasion of a Sovereign country. KVIV is a beautiful city. Now there are explosions going on there tonight. After his statement of 2 days ago the Balkan States under NATO could be threatened. This is serious stuff and shouldn't be minimized.
Europe has been weakened by leftist government as we have here. We have generals more concerned about rainbow flags and pregnant jumpsuits than protecting the country. Putin knows it and and its why he is making his move. Russia will have mass executions of Ukraine's political leaders they will usurp the country economically like they did under Stalin. Its a bad scene and anyone thinking its no big deal are dead wrong.
Exactly! This is insane, we’re not living in the century of game of throwns. You can’t just concur countries even if you think you are entitled. This is no different than iran trying to take land from Israel. Obama never should have given russia a free pass for Crimea. That precedent was set and now it has to be stopped and now we have brandon in office.

stop market going to go to Shit… but who cares…GDP has been the highest it’s been in over 30 yrs. Smh

Cortez,
That was a long and wonky diatribe to attempt to change the subject from the basic truth. The Ukraine Russia conflict is an international money grab of which the Biden administration is attempting to use to deflect attention from its failed policies. Wag the Dog!

How much does a SAM missile cost?

S-400 missile system
S-400 Triumf NATO reporting name: SA-21 Growler
DesignerAlmaz-Antey
ManufacturerFakel Machine-Building Design Bureau
Unit cost$300 million per System

Simplistic economic conspiracy theory. You seem attached to a “follow the money” kinda rationale for many things. Too easy.

I don’t think Putin gives a damn about Ukrainian money or loot. Rather, he wants to resurrect Russian prestige and power after the humiliating breakup of the Soviet Union.

17, Allied and 6882,

You three ably represent the two wings of the GOP on foreign affairs:

17 and Allied: we have no business conflicting w Russia over Ukraine

6882: Appease Putin now and we will have bigger conflicts with Russia in the future

1. Ukraine gave up a large number of nukes under the promise that NATO would defend them. Other nations are watching and now determining that they better have their own nuclear deterrent. That leads to a less stable and more dangerous world for everyone.
2. China is watching closely what little resistance we are putting up. Taiwan will be next. I'm sure you'll ask next who cares about Taiwan. Just like people asked in 1938 "who cares if Hitler takes the Sudetenland".

Putin doesn’t want a war with the USA.
Actually he was about to do a major deal with Exxon before the 2016 hysteria, then they backed off
He does want to create a buffer between the west ( NATO ) and Russia
Didn’t we almost go to war back in 1962 ( I remember ) when the Soviets were going to place Nukes in Cuba ? Russia has the same objection.
Crimea is gone , no getting that back for Ukraine. It’s people are mostly Russian
The two regions Russia is now claiming is also mostly Russian, the exact boundaries will be negotiated.
But all this is not our concern.
Putin has this view that three countries, Ukraine, Belo Russia and Russia are all derived from the same people, the ancient Rus . The languages and customs are very similar. Nikita Khrushchev was in born right outside Ukraine and grew up in the Donbass .

Putin is convinced that having Ukraine as a NATO member and US ally is not in his best interest.
We can continue to dismiss his views as extreme and outlandish. His weapons and delivery systems for those weapons are not outlandish
He’s a tough guy , a brute , hard nosed , but dismissing him would be a big mistake
Putin's ego has run amok. This is the beginning of his demise.

1. Ukraine gave up a large number of nukes under the promise that NATO would defend them. Other nations are watching and now determining that they better have their own nuclear deterrent. That leads to a less stable and more dangerous world for everyone.
2. China is watching closely what little resistance we are putting up. Taiwan will be next. I'm sure you'll ask next who cares about Taiwan. Just like people asked in 1938 "who cares if Hitler takes the Sudetenland".
Cane Sniper,

Excellent post. Both of your statements are 100% true. They would be part of the foundation of a well designed and honest foreign policy. The practical problem of the current situation is Joe Biden. Joe looked the other way when the Ukraine and Russia paid his crack head kid millions. In fact he was very happy about it. In Russia and Ukraine that is called a bribe and is a largely accepted way of doing busines . They both believe they bought Joe Biden fair and sqauare. Really not much different than if you pay a roofer for a new roof, you expect a new roof.

And I will show again because it is so relevant. Biden bragging about threatening, in his capacity as VP, to withhold loan guarantees to the country that he had an illicit bribery tainted relationship with. This video shows a complete lack of decorum and statesmanship. Sounds very third world.

So now the President of the United States is dealing with two countries that he (through his son) accepted bribes from. That is not a position of strength to uphold the two noble tenets you had posted His previous actions diminished the credibility of the office of US President and have made the world less safe.

Your second statement is expecially true and scary. And didn't that same Hunter Biden receive millions from the Chinese? Will they believe that they too made a deal with Joe?

We know Putin has nukes.

EPIC...

We know Putin has nukes.

I really hoped your post would be informative and factual. But as usual the same right wing rhetoric. Not sure why you provided those links. They only referenced information already known to most people who follow MSM.

A lot of referencing the Nazi and WW2 going on here. The world is a very different place now mainly due to the nuclear bomb. Like it or not we also clearly held the moral high ground then. Putin says he doesn’t want nukes on the Russian border and NATO and us say we don’t have any plans to attack Russia. At the very same time our political and intelligence agency’s are spreading the lie He fixed our elections. He knows he didn’t so why would he believe us. This is the time to bring back North American oil and gas and pull the plug on Russian funding

A lot of referencing the Nazi and WW2 going on here. The world is a very different place now mainly due to the nuclear bomb. Like it or not we also clearly held the moral high ground then. Putin says he doesn’t want nukes on the Russian border and NATO and us say we don’t have any plans to attack Russia. At the very same time our political and intelligence agency’s are spreading the lie He fixed our elections. He knows he didn’t so why would he believe us. This is the time to bring back North American oil and gas and pull the plug on Russian funding
Not "fixed" our election but gave Trump an assist to win. Check your history.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT