ADVERTISEMENT

The labor markets a big problem

HJCane

SuperCane
Gold Member
Jun 2, 2007
People don't want to work. Business can not find people to work including restaurants, fast food, and many others. This is a direct result of the extra $$ for unemployment with no mandate that the person has to seek to find a job. I saw a piece about a restaurant in Hollywood, FL who laid out 30K for robots to take you to your table, take your order etc. because they can not get workers. This doesn't benefit anyone.

Government gets it wrong again.

Fast food restaurants where I live are starting to close dining area’s and just using the drive through.

Most labor intensive service industry businesses are scrambling for employees to work. Your generally speaking of the level that is one step above day labor. That makes up a huge workforce that chooses between staying home and being paid or working at a job. Bad government policies causing this issue. It needs to stop a/s/a/p before costs skyrocket.

Most labor intensive service industry businesses are scrambling for employees to work. Your generally speaking of the level that is one step above day labor. That makes up a huge workforce that chooses between staying home and being paid or working at a job. Bad government policies causing this issue. It needs to stop a/s/a/p before costs skyrocket.
They can't operate. Those that are working are logging many hours of overtime. Bad policies rewarding stay at home as opposed to getting a job.

Good friend owns a very successful Chick-Fil-A....Could hire 40 folks today, if he could find them. Paying significant OT now. Drive thru, pick up and some delivery only.

It ends September the extra $300 per week from the Feds. Unless of course the geniuses in DC extend it again.
They will extend unemployment benefits but will do nothing for small business still crippled by Covid mandates. I predict the Biden presidency will reduce small business by at least 50%.

They will extend unemployment benefits but will do nothing for small business still crippled by Covid mandates. I predict the Biden presidency will reduce small business by at least 50%.
The labor intensive businesses that I am involved in at this time are very selective on new accounts and frankly are just having to wait on expanding their businesses until the labor market loosens up. In my opinion that will not happen unless this administration does not extend benefits. Food and Hospitality are hurting. Janitorial uses a lot of illegals . They get away with it until ICE comes knocking. Security companies can't get employees to expand. Landscaping...see janitorial.., mostly all service companies need people to work.

Very serious labor shortages in the service industries. Talked to a hotel GM who can’t hire enough people. Why?

* people moved away (cheaper, remote locations; home with parents; etc) during the year of Covid
* unemployment benefits are good enough for some
* career changes for some tired of the fragility of jobs in the hotel and restaurant businesses. Too unsteady.
* parents, particularly Moms, have been housebound since their kids cannot attend regular school. They cannot work full time AND supervise remote learning for their kids. Can’t be done. They are crazy at home but can’t solve the school problem.

Maybe full in person school openings in September will free some people up to return to work.

Reactions: Allied2651
Here's the solution for worker shortages. Raise the minimum hourly wage to $15.
Typical liberal stupid answer as usual. Employers are offering unbelievable incentives for people to work. One pizza franchise is actually offering their kids 1 year paid tuition for college just to fill positions, still others are offering bonuses and unreal incentives but these people would rather sit on their azz.

Some industries could handle it immediately some not. It would have to be phased in over time like Florida is doing.
Limit the unemployment. That will get some people back to work.

Very serious labor shortages in the service industries. Talked to a hotel GM who can’t hire enough people. Why?

* people moved away (cheaper, remote locations; home with parents; etc) during the year of Covid
* unemployment benefits are good enough for some
* career changes for some tired of the fragility of jobs in the hotel and restaurant businesses. Too unsteady.
* parents, particularly Moms, have been housebound since their kids cannot attend regular school. They cannot work full time AND supervise remote learning for their kids. Can’t be done. They are crazy at home but can’t solve the school problem.

Maybe full in person school openings in September will free some people up to return to work.
Biden had said schools were reopening in,,,,, May - this month? Schoolboards are already pushing back against a September start. The answer is a Reagan like moment when he fired the Air Traffc Controllers for not working. Fully understanding the teachers are local, a President with Brass balls that truly cared about children's education could withhold DOE funding from any school district that did not offer full classroom education.

But we know Biden is no Reagan.

Biden had said schools were reopening in,,,,, May - this month? Schoolboards are already pushing back against a September start. The answer is a Reagan like moment when he fired the Air Traffc Controllers for not working. Fully understanding the teachers are local, a President with Brass balls that truly cared about children's education could withhold DOE funding from any school district that did not offer full classroom education.

But we know Biden is no Reagan.
The head of the CDC accidentally told the truth in February. and said there was no reason for kids not be in school right then. Psaki then said she didn't speak for. the CDC even though that's her job. Can't make this shit up.

On the surface this sounds like it will help the lower end of the workforce. The unintended affect, however, will be to drive the cost of goods and services higher.

How does making more money help their situation when the items they purchase will rise along with their wages?

Reactions: BreakingCane
On the surface this sounds like it will help the lower end of the workforce. The unintended affect, however, will be to drive the cost of goods and services higher.

How does making more money help their situation when the items they purchase will rise along with their wages?
Hourly wages like salaries have always gone up without inflation. Why do Republicans always pick on low wage earners but never rail against salary increases for 6 figure folks?

🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡 you have no concept of running a business... Your a typical Dem lets just throw money at it ...
Lets start with a fair wage for a days work. A concept right wing nutjobs never heard. Oh BTW, I'm certain I've run more businesses than you.

There is nothing to see here. A solution looking for a problem. Unemployment benefits are not going to last forever. People want to school their children. As the vaccine shots become more readily used this will clear up. People will go back to work and schools are going to be open.

Government did the only thing it was supposed to do and both parties signed off on that. Not just one.

Typical liberal stupid answer as usual. Employers are offering unbelievable incentives for people to work. One pizza franchise is actually offering their kids 1 year paid tuition for college just to fill positions, still others are offering bonuses and unreal incentives but these people would rather sit on their azz.
You got proof or is this a right wing talking point?

Hourly wages like salaries have always gone up without inflation. Why do Republicans always pick on low wage earners but never rail against salary increases for 6 figure folks?
You’re deflecting.

Increasing wages, including those earning 6 figures, brings with it inflation. It makes people FEEL like they have more spending power but it’s a mirage.

My house has doubling in price in the last 5 years but it didn’t become twice as nice. The car I will purchase to replace my current one will not be nicer but will cost much more than my current one.

When the wages a small business owner pays go up, they respond by increasing prices. No real durable net gain is made by the work force.

So again, I’ll ask you the question you dodged, how does increase wages solve the problem?

Reactions: BreakingCane
Lets start with a fair wage for a days work. A concept right wing nutjobs never heard. Oh BTW, I'm certain I've run more businesses than you.
Its called free enterprise Gov had no say what u pay or make

I hope they were not crack houses...😎😎😎

The past administration produced the greatest real wage earnings for low wage earners in more than three decades until the pandemic hit.

The only reason hourly and low wage earners real wages haven’t kept pace with the rest of the workforce is that group of the workforce is predominately unskilled labor. Your cronies have allowed an unfettered, continued flow of illegal immigrants into the country competing for those same jobs, inhibiting wage growth. Too many unskilled laborers competing for the same jobs.
If you want to blame anyone for the lack of wage growth it rests squarely on the shoulders of Democrats.

Reactions: utatem
The servers and bar tenders that I do have working right now are making between 40-$60,000. In other words, way more than they would be getting from the government. They’re being over worked though.

The problem is that in my industry, you’re dealing with mostly millennials that don’t want to work, love playing the victim card, expect someone to always take care of them and are getting just enough money to be happy and not have to work. Peter pan syndrome is rampant in this industry. These guy’s that are collecting and aren’t working will have roommates well into their forties.

It sucks right now. Thanks to everyone getting free cash, we’ve never been busier and we’ve never been so short staffed. For the cherry on top, we’re having a harder time getting product than I ever could have imagined due to our suppliers and manufactures going through the same shit show we are . We couldn’t even get simple stuff like patron and don julio for cinco. Half our draughts are replacements right now.

it’s communism 101. All the people working are killing them selves for the people that don’t want to work and the government enables this with these bills that they put labels on that are anything but what they are.

you’re seriously stupid if you think the dems are going to stop trying to pass these bills that just empower them by forcing the working class to either kill them selves working or rely on the government.

Last edited:
See my previous post. My employees make way more than 15 an hour. People that don’t want to work that don’t have to, aren’t working.

It’s not rocket science. You could pay these guys $20 an hour and it wouldn’t make a damn bit of difference. We just had a manager quit because he couldn’t take the aggravation with everything going on. Now I’m back to working 60+ hours a week like i did the first two years when we opened. Only now I’m doing twice the work with 60% of the staff and half the product to work with and I too have a wife and kids at home.

**** communism.

See my previous post. My employees make way more than 15 an hour. People that don’t want to work that don’t have to, aren’t working.

It’s not rocket science. You could pay these guys $20 an hour and it wouldn’t make a damn bit of difference. We just had a manager quit because he couldn’t take the aggravation with everything going on. Now I’m back to working 60+ hours a week like i did the first two years when we opened. Only now I’m doing twice the work with 60% of the staff and half the product to work with and I too have a wife and kids at home.

**** communism.
And you blame communism for your work place issues?

The past administration produced the greatest real wage earnings for low wage earners in more than three decades until the pandemic hit.

The only reason hourly and low wage earners real wages haven’t kept pace with the rest of the workforce is that group of the workforce is predominately unskilled labor. Your cronies have allowed an unfettered, continued flow of illegal immigrants into the country competing for those same jobs, inhibiting wage growth. Too many unskilled laborers competing for the same jobs.
If you want to blame anyone for the lack of wage growth it rests squarely on the shoulders of Democrats.
Actually, we had the Republican party in charge of immigration for the past 4 years. How do you explain that?

You’re deflecting.

Increasing wages, including those earning 6 figures, brings with it inflation. It makes people FEEL like they have more spending power but it’s a mirage.

My house has doubling in price in the last 5 years but it didn’t become twice as nice. The car I will purchase to replace my current one will not be nicer but will cost much more than my current one.

When the wages a small business owner pays go up, they respond by increasing prices. No real durable net gain is made by the work force.

So again, I’ll ask you the question you dodged, how does increase wages solve the problem?
It makes those low wage earners happier and can support their families. I know you will reject this but that's the honest truth.

It makes those low wage earners happier and can support their families. I know you will reject this but that's the honest truth.
Cems, it only appears like a fix. At best, it's a very temporary fix. In 1964 the minimum wage was $1.15 and a loaf of bread was $.22. It's a carrot on a stick.

Last edited:
Reactions: central17
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT