ADVERTISEMENT

LtJg Madeline Swegle becomes the first black female tactical aircraft pilot in the Navy

https://www.foxnews.com/us/navy-first-black-female-tactical-aircraft-madeline-swegle-pilot
This young sister is about to become the first Strike Fighter pilot in the history of the United States Navy. Alot of people don't know how hard it is to be selected for this community. BZ LTJG Swegle.
Congratulations to her that is ratified air so to speak, very impressive feat for anyone to achieve. My uncle was in the Blue Angel's and told me how tough that was to be a part of so I can only imagine how hard she has worked to become a member of this elite unit. Very proud of her, what a great American patriot.

Reactions: 801canesmxer
Good for her. There was a brief period of time, as a child, where I wanted to be a fighter pilot. But, I am 6'5" and at the time someone said you'll be too tall. Plus I found out how much work you had to do. Oh well.

Good for her. There was a brief period of time, as a child, where I wanted to be a fighter pilot. But, I am 6'5" and at the time someone said you'll be too tall. Plus I found out how much work you had to do. Oh well.

Lol. Same here. My old man flew an F4 in Vietnam. Always wanted to be a pilot. Found out how tough it was so I joined the infantry. I show my boys YouTube videos of fighter pilots almost everyday. Tell them this could be your day job.

Reactions: krvanness
Lol. Same here. My old man flew an F4 in Vietnam. Always wanted to be a pilot. Found out how tough it was so I joined the infantry. I show my boys YouTube videos of fighter pilots almost everyday. Tell them this could be your day job.

Ahhh, yes, the Phantom. I still remember my older brother doing model airplanes and that was one of my favorites.

I still love seeing the fighters and could watch them all day, especially when they do maneuvers. My cousin was an airplane mechanic in the Navy and I still remember seeing him at a family reunion and bringing a fighter video with me. He told me a ton of stuff about the planes while we watched. So much respect for what they do.

Congrats to her. She looks like a very happy person, someone you’d love to know.

I used to think the same thing and I'm 6'5" until I met a female C2 pilots in my squadron whose husband who was a F14 driver and he was taller than me.

Reactions: dorsey2005
And no doubt...a position earned on MERIT, and nothing else.
Nah, the Navy is going to let fly F/A18s at $75 million per copy on and off aircraft carriers because she's just because she's a black female. Leave it up to you to say some stupid shit.

Nah, the Navy is going to let fly F/A18s at $75 million per copy on and off aircraft carriers because she's a black female. Leave it up to you to say some stupid shit.
Norm. I just say that she got her job on merit and not for being black. Stay with the program dude. Have you been drinking?

Norm. I just say that she got her job on merit and not for being black. Stay with the program dude. Have you been drinking?
Yeah but it's way you emphasized MERIT which sounded like a back handed attempt to say that she was the benefactor of Affirmative Action. Why even make that comment? To make through the strike fighter training syllabus means that they are the best of the best when it comes to Naval Aviators. Only about 3 make it for every 1000 applicants.

Last edited:
Yeah but it's way you emphasized MERIT which was sounded like a back handed attempt to say that she was the benefactor of Affirmative Action. Why even make that comment? To make through the strike fighter training syllabus means that they are the best of the best when it comes to Naval Aviators. Only about 3 make it for every 1000 applicants.
Whatever. I will not continue this fight because I respect your service. I never served.

Whatever. I will not continue this fight because I respect your service. I never served.
She still has to get through FRS or Fleet Replacement Squadron training to learn how to fly her specific type of aircraft which will be either the F-18E/F Super Hornet or E-18 Growler and that's probably another year and half maybe two before she's ready to deploy in a combat operational squadron. I like busting your balls Honey!!!!

She still has to get through FRS or Fleet Replacement Squadron training to learn how to fly her specific type of aircraft which will be either the F-18E/F Super Hornet or E-18 Growler and that's probably another year and half maybe two before she's ready to deploy in a combat operational squadron. I like busting your balls Honey!!!!
I love you and you know it.

Reactions: normsmith
Great story. Can't say. how much respect I have for Navy pilots. I was a Navy Flight Surgeon and got my private license taught by Navy pilots- very demanding and hard ass. Tried desperately to get ride in the back seat of a Phantom, but. they took nurses not doctors. LOL!

Last edited:
I used to think the same thing and I'm 6'5" until I met a female C2 pilots in my squadron whose husband who was a F14 driver and he was taller than me.

Damn, really? Those damn people lied to me!!! Lol.

Went down to Willow Grove NAS my freshman year in college, took the tests, passed and qualified for the flight program and entered the AVROC program (Aviation Reserve Officer Candidate). Went to OCS in Pensacola the summer between my junior and senior year in college .. was supposed to fly Phantoms. Ruptured 3 discs in my spine lifting weights and made the mistake of mentioning it to the flight surgeon before commissioning ... they immediately gave me a medical discharge. Only reason I wanted to GO to college was to be a Navy pilot. Timing would have put me finishing the 18 month flight school program around Dec. 1970 .. prime time for some Vietnam action. Mad respect for the military and a special place for the USN.

Went down to Willow Grove NAS my freshman year in college, took the tests, passed and qualified for the flight program and entered the AVROC program (Aviation Reserve Officer Candidate). Went to OCS in Pensacola the summer between my junior and senior year in college .. was supposed to fly Phantoms. Ruptured 3 discs in my spine lifting weights and made the mistake of mentioning it to the flight surgeon before commissioning ... they immediately gave me a medical discharge. Only reason I wanted to GO to college was to be a Navy pilot. Timing would have put me finishing the 18 month flight school program around Dec. 1970 .. prime time for some Vietnam action. Mad respect for the military and a special place for the USN.

I hear you, the last thing you ever do is go to sick call. Lol

20 years ago I had just graduated Infantry school and went straight to Airborne school. Effed up my knee practicing PLFs off a platform rigged into a torture device. On the way back to the barracks the Sgt. Airborne noticed I was limping. Told me if he looked back again and saw me limping I was going to sick call. Switched places with a buddy into the middle of the formation. Was able to hide and finish the final week. I have a host of lingering injuries but almost none are documented. It's highly frowned upon to go to sick call in the Infantry.

I worked in Aviation Maintenance in the late 80s early 90s and The F-4 were all but stricken from Navy inventory as the F-14 took it's place as the primary fleet defender/interceptor. The Air Force still had the "Wild Weasel" at Clark AFB in the Philippines. I wish I would have gotten off my ass and went to college and pursued the flight pipeline.

Reactions: 289fia
Great story. Can't say. how much respect I have for Navy pilots. I was a Navy Flight Surgeon and got my private license taught by Navy pilots- very demanding and hard ass. Tried desperately to get ride in the back seat of a Phantom, but. they took nurses not doctors. LOL!
You would have probably had to been in a squadron for them to let you ride in the back seat. As you probably know the Blue Angels take VIPs, members of the media up.

You would have probably had to been in a squadron for them to let you ride in the back seat. As you probably know the Blue Angels take VIPs, members of the media up.
Exactly. We had visiting squadrons come down in the winter, but those guys just wanted to get in our nurses pants.

I sat in the cockpit of a F-14 on the USS Midway museum in San Diego last fall and had plenty of leg room.

Not sure why you keep piling on, Norm. I just realized I was lied to when I was 9 years old. My life could have been completely different. ;)

This is awesome.....love seeing sisters accomplishing such feats. I'm proud of her and don 't even know the young lady, but I'm sure she's an incredible person who has earned it.

Lol. Sorry about that shipmate.

No worries. Trust me, even if I had known that back then I did not have the discipline for the military. In any role. My first love was guitar anyway, so I grew my hair out and played in a band. A long way from the military life, ya know?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT