ADVERTISEMENT

Question formTrump voters

cortez55403

SuperCane
Gold Member
Sep 14, 2004
No doubt, I’m a never Trumper. Voted for Mayor Bloomberg in my state’s primary. My intent here is not to flame but to ask Trump supporters for your thoughts on DJT’s campaign to date.

Most commentators agree that there are two issues now central to the concerns of voters:

* Coronavirus in two aspects: health (infections, hospitalizations, deaths); and economic downturn due to the pandemic (shut downs, unemployment, no schools).

* racial unrest/cultural divisions: protests, BLM, counter protests, statues destroyed and defended, etc. etc.

DJT’s current campaign is to minimize and dismiss the risks of coronavirus and to attack protesters and others who question our historic American way of life. He criticized NASCAR for banning the Confederate flag and urged Bubba Wallace to apologize for the phony “noose” controversy. He’s digging in against perceived threats from the Left.

I am a bit surprised by his stance. My thought is that if he demonstrated strong leadership fighting the coronavirus and true empathy on social divisions, he could calm the public and rally 50%+ of the electorate behind him. He is facing a very mediocre candidate in Joe Biden who is a compromise choice from a weak field of Democratic contenders. Joe’s major virtue is that people of both parties don’t hate him. That was not the case for Hillary.

Two questions:

* has Trump chosen the right campaign strategy?

* can he win with this strategy?

Thanks.

I'm support most of Trump's policies- less government, lower taxes, fewer regulations, pro business. strong borders, strong military, etc.
I don't like Trump's personality. I don't think he's a nice person, but then what real estate developer is.
I don't like the way the campaign is going.I don't think they are doing a good job of defining the message or making clear Biden's many inadequacies or pointing out that he will be a puppet of a group of people like The Squad. I'm not sure he can win with the current strategy. JMO.

Reactions: gchaneyjr and 4210
No doubt, I’m a never Trumper. Voted for Mayor Bloomberg in my state’s primary. My intent here is not to flame but to ask Trump supporters for your thoughts on DJT’s campaign to date.

Most commentators agree that there are two issues now central to the concerns of voters:

* Coronavirus in two aspects: health (infections, hospitalizations, deaths); and economic downturn due to the pandemic (shut downs, unemployment, no schools).

* racial unrest/cultural divisions: protests, BLM, counter protests, statues destroyed and defended, etc. etc.

DJT’s current campaign is to minimize and dismiss the risks of coronavirus and to attack protesters and others who question our historic American way of life. He criticized NASCAR for banning the Confederate flag and urged Bubba Wallace to apologize for the phony “noose” controversy. He’s digging in against perceived threats from the Left.

I am a bit surprised by his stance. My thought is that if he demonstrated strong leadership fighting the coronavirus and true empathy on social divisions, he could calm the public and rally 50%+ of the electorate behind him. He is facing a very mediocre candidate in Joe Biden who is a compromise choice from a weak field of Democratic contenders. Joe’s major virtue is that people of both parties don’t hate him. That was not the case for Hillary.

Two questions:

* has Trump chosen the right campaign strategy?

* can he win with this strategy?

Thanks.
Lots to unpack here but let's start from the top.

Covid-19 should be dealt with at the state and local level because as we have seen different areas of the country have been effected in completely different ways. Furthermore the Federal government imposing a lockdown on states is unconstitutional on a multitude of levels and probably should have never happened in the first place. There is virtually no evidence that any lockdowns anywhere were effective so Trump not taking action I love. As far as the items where the federal government should oversee I think the administration has done a stellar job. Take vaccines for one, Trump initiated project Warp Speed very early and gave 25 billion towards vaccine research and now 2 of the 4 leading candidates in late trials are US companies and the Oxford vaccine which is in the lead garnered tremendous assistance from this project which is why if it is effective the US would receive over 100 million doses by the years end. Talk about a huge win that the media has not acknowledged for 1 second. Then there is the treatment where the US has been at the cutting edge and has reduced the mortality expectation at the outset of the pandemic from 4% to .2% and falling. Again huge strides on this front and once again crickets from the media, even cases are surging and the death rates continue to plummet everyday.

Now lets the race issues, this is far more tricky. For one I have not heard him criticize the protests as much as the rioting looting and violent outbreaks in many cities. I for one am all for protests and I don't support BLM (not because I don't like black people, rather because the organization is mostly Marxist far left leaning platforms that have nothing to do with black people) but if people want to protest an injustice I beleive it is very American to do so and support their right to engage in this. Now where Trump has been very critical is when these protests become violent and destructive, and I agree with him in this regard 100%. Most protesters are peaceful and just, however it is up to them to police those in their group and if they fail to do so police must be allowed to preserve order. How is it just that people and businesses have their property destroyed and lives threatened to allow a protest which has devolved to a riot to continue.
As it comes to Bubba Wallace I wish Trump would let a dead issue lie. My biggest complaint with him by far is him picking unecessary fights with ordinary citizens, which I think is beneath the Presidency and also hurting him with swing voters. Suffice it to say I wish he would stop and get the **** off of Twitter.
Lastly the monuments is another thing I strongly agree with him on, as this is wokeness gone awry and the destruction of property and cultural heritage. Lets take the Confederate flag, I am a white Republican and fully support the rights of someone to fly this flag as much as I support BLMs right to protest. There is an added benefit to the Confederate flag in that it makes it real easy to spot a moron in a crowd. As for the monuments these are part of our heritage and the people they portray should be judged on their good deeds and the time they lived. I am Italian and take great pride in Columbus, who took great risks and changed the world mostly for the betterment of humanity. Did he do some bad things to natives,sure, but his exploration led to an explosion of prosperity for humanity and set the foundation for what would become America. Or take MLK a fine leader of the civil rights movement, inspiration to the black community (really most everyone), and amazing orator, if he was judged by todays wokeness we would toss all that aside and call him a rapist and misogynist. Great men and women have flaws like everyone, we can choose to admire their great deeds while acknowledging their short coming, or we can tear down their statues, forget the lessons they taught or the great things they accomplished and be left with a void of wokeness just waiting to claim its next victim

Covid-19 should be dealt with at the state and local level because as we have seen different areas of the country have been effected in completely different ways. Furthermore the Federal government imposing a lockdown on states is unconstitutional on a multitude of levels and probably should have never happened in the first place. There is virtually no evidence that any lockdowns anywhere were effective so Trump not taking action I love. As far as the items where the federal government should oversee I think the administration has done a stellar job. Take vaccines for one, Trump initiated project Warp Speed very early and gave 25 billion towards vaccine research and now 2 of the 4 leading candidates in late trials are US companies and the Oxford vaccine which is in the lead garnered tremendous assistance from this project which is why if it is effective the US would receive over 100 million doses by the years end. Talk about a huge win that the media has not acknowledged for 1 second. Then there is the treatment where the US has been at the cutting edge and has reduced the mortality expectation at the outset of the pandemic from 4% to .2% and falling. Again huge strides on this front and once again crickets from the media, even cases are surging and the death rates continue to plummet everyday.

Now lets the race issues, this is far more tricky. For one I have not heard him criticize the protests as much as the rioting looting and violent outbreaks in many cities. I for one am all for protests and I don't support BLM (not because I don't like black people, rather because the organization is mostly Marxist far left leaning platforms that have nothing to do with black people) but if people want to protest an injustice I beleive it is very American to do so and support their right to engage in this. Now where Trump has been very critical is when these protests become violent and destructive, and I agree with him in this regard 100%. Most protesters are peaceful and just, however it is up to them to police those in their group and if they fail to do so police must be allowed to preserve order. How is it just that people and businesses have their property destroyed and lives threatened to allow a protest which has devolved to a riot to continue.
As it comes to Bubba Wallace I wish Trump would let a dead issue lie. My biggest complaint with him by far is him picking unecessary fights with ordinary citizens, which I think is beneath the Presidency and also hurting him with swing voters. Suffice it to say I wish he would stop and get the **** off of Twitter.
Lastly the monuments is another thing I strongly agree with him on, as this is wokeness gone awry and the destruction of property and cultural heritage. Lets take the Confederate flag, I am a white Republican and fully support the rights of someone to fly this flag as much as I support BLMs right to protest. There is an added benefit to the Confederate flag in that it makes it real easy to spot a moron in a crowd. As for the monuments these are part of our heritage and the people they portray should be judged on their good deeds and the time they lived. I am Italian and take great pride in Columbus, who took great risks and changed the world mostly for the betterment of humanity. Did he do some bad things to natives,sure, but his exploration led to an explosion of prosperity for humanity and set the foundation for what would become America. Or take MLK a fine leader of the civil rights movement, inspiration to the black community (really most everyone), and amazing orator, if he was judged by todays wokeness we would toss all that aside and call him a rapist and misogynist. Great men and women have flaws like everyone, we can choose to admire their great deeds while acknowledging their short coming, or we can tear down their statues, forget the lessons they taught or the great things they accomplished and be left with a void of wokeness just waiting to claim its next victim
Good post.

Reactions: mahb and kamco360

good post kamco. I have different political beliefs than you but appreciate learning about your perspective and rationale.

Question: can/will Trump win with his current strategy?

I'm support most of Trump's policies- less government, lower taxes, fewer regulations, pro business. strong borders, strong military, etc.
I don't like Trump's personality. I don't think he's a nice person, but then what real estate developer is.
I don't like the way the campaign is going.I don't think they are doing a good job of defining the message or making clear Biden's many inadequacies or pointing out that he will be a puppet of a group of people like The Squad. I'm not sure he can win with the current strategy. JMO.
I can respect what you're saying. Most Republicans believe in alot of what you listed I.E. strong military, borders etc. I voted Republican for most of my career in the military as a black man. With Trump, there is alot of other shit that are non starters I.E. his personality, using Bill Barr as his personal lawyer, the racism that he stokes, deference to Putin.

Reactions: kamco360
I’ve always felt it was going to be a close election, we’ll see what happens. One thing Trump has going for him is his base is solidly behind him. The press is clueless about his base, they live in an echo chamber and the world of Twitter.

I can respect what you're saying. Most Republicans believe in alot of what you listed I.E. strong military, borders etc. I voted Republican for most of my career in the military as a black man. With Trump, there is alot of other shit that are non starters I.E. his personality, using Bill Barr as his personal lawyer, the racism that he stokes, deference to Putin.

Everything you said after non starters is false.

good post kamco. I have different political beliefs than you but appreciate learning about your perspective and rationale.

Question: can/will Trump win with his current strategy?
That's tough to say, personally as a Republican I hate it. He panders to much to the base, case in point Bubba Wallace. I think the race is much closer than the polls suggest and as they switch to likely voter polls this will be reflected. This is how Clinton got blindsided. What is annoying is that is Trump was less abrasive on issues he doesn't need to be he would win in a landslide as Biden is a very weak candidate who has very low voter enthusiasm. Say what you will about Trump but his base loves him. Biden on the other hand is only tolerated by his base and could be prone to very weak turnout. I think Trump is banking on a strong recovery which looks good so far and Biden being very weak in the debates. Right now I would say coin toss, however if there is no death spike to go along with the recent spike in cases I would give a slight edge to Trump.

Agree with you he is abrasive, Barr not so much as I do think Russia gate was a hoax. Wish he would get off of Twitter because although I don't think he is the racist monster the left makes him out to be he does act like an ass half the time he Tweets. I think his worst tweets ever were directed at Joe Scarborough and even though I will vote for him in November I think he looks like a fool. If the Democrats ran someone like Kennedy or Bill Clinton I would vote for them in a heart beat (I have voted strictly Republican my whole life), but since the Democrats are insistent on running to the far left I will simply hold my nose and pull the lever for Trump.

That's tough to say, personally as a Republican I hate it. He panders to much to the base, case in point Bubba Wallace. I think the race is much closer than the polls suggest and as they switch to likely voter polls this will be reflected. This is how Clinton got blindsided. What is annoying is that is Trump was less abrasive on issues he doesn't need to be he would win in a landslide as Biden is a very weak candidate who has very low voter enthusiasm. Say what you will about Trump but his base loves him. Biden on the other hand is only tolerated by his base and could be prone to very weak turnout. I think Trump is banking on a strong recovery which looks good so far and Biden being very weak in the debates. Right now I would say coin toss, however if there is no death spike to go along with the recent spike in cases I would give a slight edge to Trump.

I agree that if Trump got off Twitter, was less abrasive, more empathetic on racial issue and more leader full on the pandemic, he would win easily. Biden is a very weak candidate. And, it’s always tough to defeat an incumbent President.

But, DJT seems incapable of changing his style. Most importantly, he works best as the aggressive underdog and outsider attacking the establishment.
He doesn’t seem to realize that now HE IS the establishment. He has to defend his actions and record. His exaggerations and untruths undermine his defense.

Only this month have I given Biden the slight edge.
We will know in 4 months.

I agree that if Trump got off Twitter, was less abrasive, more empathetic on racial issue and more leader full on the pandemic, he would win easily. Biden is a very weak candidate. And, it’s always tough to defeat an incumbent President.

But, DJT seems incapable of changing his style. Most importantly, he works best as the aggressive underdog and outsider attacking the establishment.
He doesn’t seem to realize that now HE IS the establishment. He has to defend his actions and record. His exaggerations and untruths undermine his defense.

Agree with you on all points. I would add though that this media went from adulation to outright hostility once he got elected. He overused Fake News but there is no question he does not get any fair shake from the media and hence the reason I think he overplays the defense. I don't think if he let shit slide and played off Twitter that CNN or NBC would begin to say OK let's lay off him and take a more balanced approach. It's a real quagmire for sure.

Reactions: cortez55403

Good post.

Agree with you he is abrasive, Barr not so much as I do think Russia gate was a hoax. Wish he would get off of Twitter because although I don't think he is the racist monster the left makes him out to be he does act like an ass half the time he Tweets. I think his worst tweets ever were directed at Joe Scarborough and even though I will vote for him in November I think he looks like a fool. If the Democrats ran someone like Kennedy or Bill Clinton I would vote for them in a heart beat (I have voted strictly Republican my whole life), but since the Democrats are insistent on running to the far left I will simply hold my nose and pull the lever for Trump.
I don't think that the Russia gate was a hoax in that they did try to interfere in our elections. Whether or not there was coordinaton with the Trump campaign is the subject of debate and there was never any thing found to substantiate it. Biden isn't far left like AOC or Bernie Sanders. As far as whether or not he's racist I look at what he says and does. There were very fine people in Charlottesville but peaceful George Floyd protesters are terrorists? Blasted Bubba Wallace on Twitter and he wasn't even the one who found the noose or called it a noose and the list goes on and on.

I will vote for Trump but I'm not a Trump groupie. I dont particularly like him as a person. I dont think it matters what his campaign does. I cant imagine there are many people in the country who dont already know who they will vote for.

I think the temper tantrum the radical left has thrown this past month plays into his hands. It started out as a legitimate protest by concerned citizens but was hijacked by the radical left almost immediately. People like law and order. Many people love this country and its heritage...including black people. I'm sure there is a large group of black families who are terrified of dismantling the police. They want to be safe. The left is over playing its hand.
You failed to mention that there are more Black families that are Scared of the Police, scared that their son or daughter could be the next Filando Castel or George Floyd. You are right they want to be safe but dont trust the Police to make them safe. The Police has been unfair to Black people for hundreds of years and now we need to believe them to protect us? GTFOH that wont happen. Does Blacks want Police to be dismantled Hell No. Maybe a few Cities in this country where the Police are flat out unfair. There are cities out there like that. We need Police but we need Police to be fair and protect and serve ALL PEOPLE.

Who is Donald Trumps BASE?

People who vote for him, they are very enthusiastic about his candidacy, Biden on the other hand is not well liked. The only thing most Democrats like about him is his name is not Donald Trump.
I respect your previous post. But let’s keep it real. Trump has a lot of racist that’s part of his base. Am I correct?

I respect your previous post. But let’s keep it real. Trump has a lot of racist that’s part of his base. Am I correct?
I don't presume to know what lies in the heart of any voter. Are there racist people who will vote this year, certainly, would I presume to know which candidate they will choose, not a chance.

The definition of a racist is someone who believes that those of a different race are genetically and intellectually inferior to them. To that definition I would say no there are very few Trump voters who fit that bill and furthermore very few in this country who are indeed racist.

I don't presume to know what lies in the heart of any voter. Are there racist people who will vote this year, certainly, would I presume to know which candidate they will choose, not a chance.

The definition of a racist is someone who believes that those of a different race are genetically and intellectually inferior to them. To that definition I would say no there are very few Trump voters who fit that bill and furthermore very few in this country who are indeed racist.
I have quite a few videos of racists at trump rallies with vocals so I’ll be posting those so you can see since you act like you don’t know. That tells me that you guys are blinded to that, you don’t want to see that and you are in afraid to admit that. But to write that Trump doesn’t have racist As part of his base, that’s a total lie. I thought you would be totally honest with me bro.

Great post . This says it all

The states government should have a plan but the president should have the master plan.
The CDC has had guidelines in place since March, whether a state wishes to follow them is constitutionally their choice.

I have quite a few videos of racists at trump rallies with vocals so I’ll be posting those so you can see since you act like you don’t know. That tells me that you guys are blinded to that, you don’t want to see that and you are in afraid to admit that. But to write that Trump doesn’t have racist As part of his base, that’s a total lie. I thought you would be totally honest with me bro.
Don't waste your time I believe you, 46M people voted for him, if even .1% are racist that is 46,000 people. My overall point is that it is a very minuscule amount of people in broader societal terms.

When I was younger I lived on the South Side of Chicago, I am a smoker and often times people would ask me to bum a cigarette sometimes I would and sometimes I would say sorry I can't help (nothing to do with race, usually was how many cigarettes left in my pack and the fact they are like 10$ per pack). On several occasions a black man called me racial slurs for not giving him one of my cigarettes, one team even threatened me with violence. I wouldn't dare to take those half dozen interactions as representative of the black community. I wouldn't dare state that black people are racist or have hate in their hearts. Point is 330M people in this country but even 1% bad equals 3M assholes, don't judge a book by its cover. And as always I will concede Trump needs to dump twitter.

I will be honest. There are definitely racists in his base. Given the choice of voting for Biden or Trump I would assume people who are white and racist would vote for Trump. I dont think that's reflective of the majority of Trumps base though.

Most racist don’t want anything to do with either party.

Reactions: kamco360

Ironic that Trump is looked at now as The Establishment when he's only been in office for 3.5 years and is running against Joe who has been in politics for nearly 50 years.

I will be honest. There are definitely racists in his base. Given the choice of voting for Biden or Trump I would assume people who are white and racist would vote for Trump. I dont think that's reflective of the majority of Trumps base though.
You would be leaving out the rich white liberal elitists. They think they are above everybody.

Most racist don’t want anything to do with either party.
Come grab cane that’s not true. When Trump said make America great again that woke up all the races. The white supremacists started having marches with Trump signs and hats and shirts that’s proven fact. He creates the atmosphere as to he’s talking to them. Name me one white racist group that supports Democrats. Please don’t see an anTifa because they are white and black.

Don't waste your time I believe you, 46M people voted for him, if even .1% are racist that is 46,000 people. My overall point is that it is a very minuscule amount of people in broader societal terms.

When I was younger I lived on the South Side of Chicago, I am a smoker and often times people would ask me to bum a cigarette sometimes I would and sometimes I would say sorry I can't help (nothing to do with race, usually was how many cigarettes left in my pack and the fact they are like 10$ per pack). On several occasions a black man called me racial slurs for not giving him one of my cigarettes, one team even threatened me with violence. I wouldn't dare to take those half dozen interactions as representative of the black community. I wouldn't dare state that black people are racist or have hate in their hearts. Point is 330M people in this country but even 1% bad equals 3M assholes, don't judge a book by its cover. And as always I will concede Trump needs to dump twitter.
Sorry to tell you guy there are way more racist in America then the number you stated. Let’s keep it real I know you probably don’t want to admit it but just keep it real the number you stated you might have that in half of one state.

I have traveled America and outside of the urban cities there are hundreds of places as a black man that I don’t want to be. As a kid when me and my family traveled in the car I was scared when we went through Georgia and Alabama and Mississippi at night when there’s no lights and we’re in the middle of KKK racist territory and there’s a lot of that inside the United States of America.

True, people can attack me for this but I honestly dont feel racism is the problem most say it to be. It was a problem in the past but not right now. We live in the most accepting and integrated culture in the history of the world. That's a fact that cant be disputed. We can always make progress but racist people are on the fringe of society
When you hear me speak I’m not saying all white people are racist I have some great white people in my life or that’s been a part of my life. But there is a big element out there that’s out right racist or undercover racist.

Please also post all the racist on the left that won’t vote for Trump. Also will Biden get the pedophile vote ?

Please also post all the racist on the left that won’t vote for Trump. Also will Biden get the pedophile vote ?
There aren’t any racist is on the left remember the candidate is white. As far as pedophiles I don’t know any so you probably can’t answer that better than me.

I have traveled America and outside of the urban cities there are hundreds of places as a black man that I don’t want to be. As a kid when me and my family traveled in the car I was scared when we went through Georgia and Alabama and Mississippi at night when there’s no lights and we’re in the middle of KKK racist territory and there’s a lot of that inside the United States of America.
To that same token I could not go into a large section of Chicagos south and west sides, most of the Bronx and Harlem in NY, Compton and many neighborhoods in LA and on and on for for of violence against me in black neighborhoods. One of Chicagos best BBQ joints was in Washington Park in Chicago, but even my best friend Julius said don't you dare go there even during the day. That saddens me that I can't go there but I hold no ill will towards the black community. Just a case of a few bad apples spoiling the bunch.

Reactions: gchaneyjr
Come grab cane that’s not true. When Trump said make America great again that woke up all the races. The white supremacists started having marches with Trump signs and hats and shirts that’s proven fact. He creates the atmosphere as to he’s talking to them. Name me one white racist group that supports Democrats. Please don’t see an anTifa because they are white and black.
Then why are there so many prominent African Americans who support Trump, not the least of which is the niece of Martin Luther King jr., Alveda King.

To that same token I could not go into a large section of Chicagos south and west sides, most of the Bronx and Harlem in NY, Compton and many neighborhoods in LA and on and on for for of violence against me in black neighborhoods. One of Chicagos best BBQ joints was in Washington Park in Chicago, but even my best friend Julius said don't you dare go there even during the day. That saddens me that I can't go there but I hold no ill will towards the black community. Just a case of a few bad apples spoiling the bunch.
I respect what you’re saying because that is true we have a lot of ignorant Black people out there, that’s in all cultures. But if you look at our political map and look at the red and the blue there are far more white areas in this country that has always been White in this country than black Areas. But let’s keep it real in rulral America is predominately white. There are way more white people in America than Black people. There are a lot of black families that were affected by racist somewhere in their families history. Not making any excuse for them but on the other hand your culture has never been enslaved and discriminated against. unless you’re Jewish who has experience the same drama in their country.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT