ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Derby

I have watched this race 15 times already. I cannot believe this happened. Truly stranger than fiction

The back story was phenomenal for starters
  • Picked up as a Claimer for 30k this past September
  • The owner is the one who lost 2 dozen horses in a fire a few years ago & almost quit the industry
  • The trainer had never trained big time horses
  • The jockey had never competed in top flight races
  • The horse has a very mediocre record
But the race itself topped all of that.

The jockey took an incredible path, actually chose the shortest distance between two points. The horse was 17th going into the far turn. Whereas most jockeys try to go outside to pass horses, this guy took an inside route

Down the stretch he looked like Barry Sanders. Made a bold move, cutting around a horse to reach the rail, then split 2 horses in order to challenge the 2 leaders.

There is a great video online where you can watch the far turn and the stretch from a high overhead camera. Almost like watching the race from behind the pack. Just a remarkable view of the path the jockey took to victory. I have been a horse racing fan for 50 years and I have never seen a route like this jockey took.

I could watch it ten more times

I have watched this race 15 times already. I cannot believe this happened. Truly stranger than fiction

• The owner is the one who lost 2 dozen horses in a fire a few years ago & almost quit the industry

The jockey took an incredible path, actually chose the shortest distance between two points. The horse was 17th going into the far turn. Whereas most jockeys try to go outside to pass horses, this guy took an inside route

Down the stretch he looked like Barry Sanders. Made a bold move, cutting around a horse to reach the rail, then split 2 horses in order to challenge the 2 leaders.

There is a great video online where you can watch the far turn and the stretch from a high overhead camera. Almost like watching the race from behind the pack. Just a remarkable view of the path the jockey took to victory. I have been a horse racing fan for 50 years and I have never seen a route like this jockey took.

Might have been one of the greatest jockey rides of all time. He weaved his horse inside, outside inside, then weaved to the middle, pass a horse on the rail and then to the rail for the win!!!
Jockey and horse were the best by far yesterday
What a fantastic story!

Last edited:
Reactions: grbcane and Joer
Might have been one of the greatest jockey rides of all time. He weaved his horse inside, outside inside, then passed a horse on the rail and then to the rail for the win!!!
Jockey and horse were the best by far yesterday
What a fantastic story!
"Might have been one of the greatest jockey rides of all time."

I agree. Never seen a jockey do what this guy did. An incredible strategy right from the starting gate. His move inside down the stretch when the pack all moved away from the rail was genius. This jockey was not lucky on that move. You could see him planning it from the moment he entered the stretch. If he have stayed mid-pack, or moved outside, he would not have made the top 6.

He made his own luck

Reactions: majus12

I'll still go with Seattle Slew as the biggest bargain of all time. He was purchased for $17,500 due to a front leg deformity. Won the Triple Crown, 14 of 17 career starts and was the nations leading sire in 1984.

It was a great ride
And the pace was ridiculous, providing an opening
But the horse responded
He hit the holes available with acceleration and was pulling away or at least not losing ground at the wire .
Yeah he did run in a $30K claimer , but his daddy did beat Pharaoh and he’s in the Curlin , Mr Prospector, Smarty linage.
Has a very decent pedigree

And may just be a late bloomer.
His Grandad Curin was a hell of a colt
Let’s see what he does in Baltimore.
His price won’t be 80 to 1 , that’s for sure

"Might have been one of the greatest jockey rides of all time."

I agree. Never seen a jockey do what this guy did. An incredible strategy right from the starting gate. His move inside down the stretch when the pack all moved away from the rail was genius. This jockey was not lucky on that move. You could see him planning it from the moment he entered the stretch. If he have stayed mid-pack, or moved outside, he would not have made the top 6.

He made his own luck
Joer, I have rewatched this race numerous times, and EVERY time I’m amazed at the ride this jockey made during the Derby.
Lets not forget about the stud horse. He looked right at the leader when he was making his run, he simply out hearted the 2 leaders.
Great day for all nvolved!

Joer, I have rewatched this race numerous times, and EVERY time I’m amazed at the ride this jockey made during the Derby.
Lets not forget about the stud horse. He looked right at the leader when he was making his run, he simply out hearted the 2 leaders.
Great day for all involved!
I noticed that about the horse as well. He turned his head and looked at every horse he passed. Horse with an attitude.

Great day for all nvolved!
UNREAL RIDE by the JOCKEY!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT