ADVERTISEMENT

The REAL Disney political battle

central17

SuperCane
Jan 31, 2005
Disney's shareholders should be taking a closer look at the current management. Their desire to butt into local political issues with their Woke religion may cause catastropic longterm loss of shareholder value. In a matter of a month, Disney is losing over $500M in State of Florida taxbreaks and benefits. But that may be the tip of the iceberg. With Republicans likely to retake congress there is beginning to be discussion about major repeal and changes to copyright protection. Disney, by courting both sides of the political aisle for years has maintained an unprecedented level of copyright protection. As recently as 1998 they had bipartisan legislation pushed through that protected many Disney characters that were slatedd to become public domain.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Term_Extension_Act

But Mickey has attempted to bully half of the country's political representatives. The loss of these special protections would cost Disney Billion$ on an annual basis. An even greater threat is management is taking a universally popular brand and making it toxic to half of the country. Many parents are now viewing Disney productions as no longer safe for their children. Parents that put up with the Disney trip for the benefit of their kids are now not taking the kids to the parks. They are fearful of child molestation.

Yes, Disney is huge and diversified, But to destroy the irretrievable value of an iconic brand is simply management malpractice from an arrogant team not focused on success, but on their personal political views. Fully expect some interesting legistlation to begin January 2025.

By punishing Disney, DeSantis acts again to bolster his stature with the Right. Probably will work.

But do we want governments to punish individuals and companies because they have different opinions than our government leaders? I don’t think so. DeSantis is stifling free speech and using the Florida tax code to punish companies that don’t agree with him.

Bad policy. Bad precedent.

No Bueno.

By punishing Disney, DeSantis acts again to bolster his stature with the Right. Probably will work.

But do we want governments to punish individuals and companies because they have different opinions than our government leaders? I don’t think so. DeSantis is stifling free speech and using the Florida tax code to punish companies that don’t agree with him.

No Bueno.
Cortez,
I 1000% agree with your statement:
But do we want governments to punish individuals and companies because they have different opinions than our government leaders?

I will submit to you that democrat governments have been doing that exact thing for years. The Republicans are just now fighting back and playing by the rules the democrats put in place. Please don't pretend to be offended by a government that attacks its critics. Democrats created the current climate of free speech is great, but if it differs then it becomes dangerous hate speech. You simply can't have it both ways. You might not agree with someone's opinion on say "CRT is bad" but for God's sake Biden's Attorney General wanted to treat parents that thought that way as terrorists. For Disney to lose some tax exemptions is well "Mickey Mouse" compared to Merrick Garland's attempt to criminalize disagreement with Biden policy and an investment he benefits from.

Would welcome a discussion about something I believe we probably agree in principal on. But can you first admit that Biden and his AG were way out of line on the investigation of Loudon County parents?

Disney went way out of bounds on this case
They were late in their opposition. Then they went overboard with an active plan to repeal the legislation. They ignored the interests of the stockholders, they went woke . They are paying the price

17 and dd,

My apologies for paying zero attention to Loudon County and Merrick Garland. Did parents get punished by the federal government? Did the the county forfeit funds or otherwise suffer?

Let’s say Governor Newsom acts to punish Tesla or other companies who choose to move employees out of California. Musk trashed the state and local government authorities on a regular basis. Was there retaliation by the Governor? No. If there had been, cries of “cancel culture” would have been shrill. And correct.

DeSantis deserves condemnation, not the adulation of his hardcore base. He is stifling free speech for his own political gain. Cynical business.

No Bueno.
We would like them to mind their business.

17 and dd,

My apologies for paying zero attention to Loudon County and Merrick Garland. Did parents get punished by the federal government? Did the the county forfeit funds or otherwise suffer?

Let’s say Governor Newsom acts to punish Tesla or other companies who choose to move employees out of California. Musk trashed the state and local government authorities on a regular basis. Was there retaliation by the Governor? No. If there had been, cries of “cancel culture” would have been shrill. And correct.

DeSantis deserves condemnation, not the adulation of his hardcore base. He is stifling free speech for his own political gain. Cynical business.
Cortez Disney Corporation has a fiduciary to it's shareholders to operate, maintain, a healthy profitable company and provide a rate of return to it's shareholders. That is the primary mission of a public company and our capital markets.
When your business is families and children the very last thing you want to involve yourself in is the type of Bill at question here.
It's high time you guys accepted that the majority of this country are traditional, hard working families with traditional values. Alienating this majority is BAD BUSINESS and I fully expect numerous shareholder lawsuits and for the current CEO to be pushed out. I will be joining in the lawsuits as I have been a shareholder since 1988. I do NOT invest my money in a company to have them veer off the path of their primary business or to enter a political fracas.

First of all Disney decided to come out against the law only because of backlash from the progressive liberals. And then they misled deceived or just outright lied about the law.
I have no problem with any individual or company taking a political stance or a stance on human rights.
But again Disney isn’t doing that from a belief standpoint. Why do I say that?
They didn’t come out against it till they were criticized by the left. And if they truly believe in the stance their taking against there own state government that has made life easy on Disney then why don’t they take a stand against China.
Disney and liberals = posturing hypocrites.
It’s a shame that big corporations allow the loud few in this country to influence them instead of the majority of their customers.
Walt Disney would be disgusted with what Disney has become

17 and dd,

Cobb County, the individuals and small business in Atlanta that lost over $100M+ due to Stacey Abrams and MLB moving the All Star game say "HI".

And as to the Loudon county parents, yes being placed on a Federal Government terrorist list would certainly be considered punishment, slander, defamation of character, extortion, harassment and much more.

Last edited:

No Bueno.
This guy is the worst. Just a horrible human being.

Cobb County, the individuals and small business in Atlanta that lost over $100M+ due to Stacey Abrams and MLB moving the All Star game say "HI".

And as to the Loudon county parents, yes being placed on a Federal Government terrorist list would certainly be considered punishment, slander, defamation of character, extortion, harassment and much more.
Agree
The actions of Disney went beyond the pale . Nothing Musk did was comparable. Disney basically attacked the Republican legislature. They sided with radical groups who intentionally mislabeled the bill the don’t say gay bill , directly implying a bigoted approach and attitude. They promoted misinformation and deceit as they entered into a political fray . Elon never did anything of the sort . The analogy is totally ridiculous.
The wanted a political fight , they got one . The special taxing district was a gift from the legislature, one that could be revoked . It was .
Meanwhile what was Disney doing getting involved in such a controversial issue ?
What benefit did it provide the company?
This is becoming common. Woke out of control companies. Like Twitter . Both companies as well as many others need to fire management and replace their boards with people who actually represent the owners of the company. The stockholders. Not customers , not employees, not Bondholders , not management. The freaking stockholders!

No Bueno.
It’s not because of simply a difference of opinion. They are pushing an agenda many see as offensive. Not only that they are actively involved in affecting policies that the governor wanted.
Its one thing to voice a dissenting opinion it’s another to target a law or policy based on your own prejudices and try to defeat it.

Cortez,
But do we want governments to punish individuals and companies because they have different opinions than our government leaders?

I will submit to you that democrat governments have been doing that exact thing for years. The Republicans are just now fighting back and playing by the rules the democrats put in place. Please don't pretend to be offended by a government that attacks its critics. Democrats created the current climate of free speech is great, but if it differs then it becomes dangerous hate speech. You simply can't have it both ways. You might not agree with someone's opinion on say "CRT is bad" but for God's sake Biden's Attorney General wanted to treat parents that thought that way as terrorists. For Disney to lose some tax exemptions is well "Mickey Mouse" compared to Merrick Garland's attempt to criminalize disagreement with Biden policy and an investment he benefits from.

Would welcome a discussion about something I believe we probably agree in principal on. But can you first admit that Biden and his AG were way out of line on the investigation of Loudon County parents?
Perfectly said. Then consider, the AG’s son-in-law gained financially from CRT teaching materials. It was also discovered that the AG solicited PTA committees to write complaints about the “parents are terrorists” game plan. Unethical all around.

17 and dd,

OMG Cortez, how awful, a state government attacks a private company over its political stance. That could never happen in a blue state?
https://www.foxbusiness.com/retail/chick-fil-a-rest-stops-resistance-donations

17 and dd,

OMG Cortez, how awful, a federal government attacks a private company to impose its political will. That could never happen from a kind and sweet blue government
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/hob...eptive-ruling-supreme-court/story?id=24364311

Can you imagine how awful it would be for a private company to have to defend itself from the punishment of a vindictive federal government?

Reactions: mahb and grbcane
I wish I was amazed (I’m not) that backers of DeSantis support:

* government punishment of its political opponents
* government suppression of free speech
* government overreach for political advantage.

The loss of Conservatives who oppose big Government is truly a loss. Reagan, Bush Sr. and Bush Jr. would not support this kind of thuggish bullying by a Governor, a guy who slurs “woke“ executives from California.

Low class. Low ethics. Bad precedent.

OMG Cortez, how awful, a federal government attacks a private company to impose its political will. That could never happen from a kind and sweet blue government
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/hob...eptive-ruling-supreme-court/story?id=24364311

Can you imagine how awful it would be for a private company to have to defend itself from the punishment of a vindictive federal government?
Stay on point, 17, rather than deflect …”did you see what the other guy did?“. Defending DeSantis by citing other examples of bad government behavior is not persuasive. Can’t you hold him to a standard of behavior?

Cortez,

Ask Mike Smith his daughter was raped and then it got covered up …….oh and he got arrested …..Go figure…..

What the state govt did is retaliatory because Disney challenged the Gov mandate "DON'T SAY GAY legislation. FL legislators revoked Disney's tax exempt status. Amazing how FL govt loves to be embroiled in culture wars.

What Disantis is doing is actually Brilliant he is being a LEADER and standing up for his people and he is showing all these other states how to act and more importantly how to Govern…….

The problem is the Left does not give a Rats ass about anyone but themselves and there constantly “ Moving the Goalposts” agenda and policies…….there Marxist ideology is a failed and flawed political view that will never work……

The problem with the Right is we have to many leaders who are worried about working with these communistic POS WOKE SCUMBAGS………we need to have strong leaders like Desantis who cares about what the people want and don’t want ……

Normal people do not want CRT …….. Kindergarten kids being told that there is more than 1 sex …….Looting Rioting Burning cities to the ground……

Normal people want Leaders which is exactly what Desantis is exhibiting…….

What the state govt did is retaliatory because Disney challenged the Gov mandate "DON'T SAY GAY legislation. FL legislators revoked Disney's tax exempt status. Amazing how FL govt loves to be embroiled in culture wars.
Do you want me to send you a translation of the bill in Hawaiian maybe you misread the bill because it’s not a don’t say gay bill. You get 5 Pinocchios. Your just a bad troll or choose to outright lie and deceive people.

• Love
Reactions: mahb and grbcane
First of all Disney decided to come out against the law only because of backlash from the progressive liberals. And then they misled deceived or just outright lied about the law.
I have no problem with any individual or company taking a political stance or a stance on human rights.
But again Disney isn’t doing that from a belief standpoint. Why do I say that?
They didn’t come out against it till they were criticized by the left. And if they truly believe in the stance their taking against there own state government that has made life easy on Disney then why don’t they take a stand against China.
Disney and liberals = posturing hypocrites.
It’s a shame that big corporations allow the loud few in this country to influence them instead of the majority of their customers.
Walt Disney would be disgusted with what Disney has become
Bob Iger like him or not was a master at dealing with issues like this quietly, privately, delicatley. This new CEO handled this about as bad as a bull in a china shop especially when you consider that the CEO of Disney could get a 1 on 1 meeting with the Governor of Florida anytime they want.

Real bad business.....................................

Reactions: mahb and central17
This guy is the worst. Just a horrible human being.
How so?
When he figured out lockdowns didn't work and opened up our economy was he the worst?
When he allowed personal freedom of choice on masks was he the worst?
When he created an urgent task force for Covid in the elderly / nursing homes was he the worst?
When he created 12 monoclonal antibody centers for covid positive people (free) was he the worst?
Our state unemployment rate of 3.2% is top 10 is he the worst?
Florida by every economic measure is BOOMING is he the worst?
Florida is 7th fastest growth rate in the country is he the worst?
Florida Governor just allocated 70 million $ to programs supporting fathers in their kids lives is he the worst?

When he LET DISNEY WORLD open up a FULL 1 year before DisneyLand in California was he the worst? WAS DISNEY COMPLAING THEN?
When he gave parents the choice between in person schooling or online school was he the worst?
More stupidity................

Stay on point, 17, rather than deflect …”did you see what the other guy did?“. Defending DeSantis by citing other examples of bad government behavior is not persuasive. Can’t you hold him to a standard of behavior?
Cortez,
"Stay on point" to you means ignore all the wrongs your team is doing. Sorry I am a big believer in consistency. The primary reason that most Republicans support DeSantis and Trump is because they will fight by the same rules (or lack of) that demi's do.

BTW, All DeSantis did was take away a company specific tax break. How fair is it that Disney gets a tax break that Mary Lou's hardware store does not receive? Your boy Brandon is all around the country promising to tax the rich. You should be happy Disney will pay closer to its "fair share". Orange County Florida is always whining about needing more revenue. Now they can tax Disney to get it.

Reactions: grbcane and mahb
17 and dd,

Musk attacked policies that were bad for business. Policies that made it harder for companies to do business in California and the costs and regulatory hurdles that harm businesses in California. That's a far cry from this Disney situation.
By the way was Disney bitching when Desantis allowed them to open the theme park a full year before Disneyland in California? No they did not.

I wish I was amazed (I’m not) that backers of DeSantis support:

* government punishment of its political opponents
* government suppression of free speech
* government overreach for political advantage.

The loss of Conservatives who oppose big Government is truly a loss. Reagan, Bush Sr. and Bush Jr. would not support this kind of thuggish bullying by a Governor, a guy who slurs “woke“ executives from California.

Low class. Low ethics. Bad precedent.
It's actually quite the opposite. Disney's stance on this Bill and the MISINFORMATION that Disney put out along with the rest of the left HARMS the state as families who vow NOT to go to Disney anymore hurts our State and tourism dollars. In addition Disney was NOT a political opponent they keep 78 lobbyists in the Florida legislature for BOTH parties.

No politician does things for votes LOL

President Obama publicly opposed same-sex marriages for political gain during the 2008 presidential campaign, his former political strategist says in a new book.

David Axelrod said that he and other political strategists advised him to say that he only supported civil unions, not full gay marriage rights, according to excerpts of his new book obtained by Time magazine.http://ti.me/1z48cye

{mosads}“Opposition to gay marriage was particularly strong in the black church, and as he ran for higher office, he grudgingly accepted the counsel of more pragmatic folks like me, and modified his position to support civil unions rather than marriage, which he would term a ‘sacred union,’ ” Axelrod writes.

What Disantis is doing is actually Brilliant he is being a LEADER and standing up for his people and he is showing all these other states how to act and more importantly how to Govern…….

The problem is the Left does not give a Rats ass about anyone but themselves and there constantly “ Moving the Goalposts” agenda and policies…….there Marxist ideology is a failed and flawed political view that will never work……

The problem with the Right is we have to many leaders who are worried about working with these communistic POS WOKE SCUMBAGS………we need to have strong leaders like Desantis who cares about what the people want and don’t want ……

Normal people do not want CRT …….. Kindergarten kids being told that there is more than 1 sex …….Looting Rioting Burning cities to the ground……

Normal people want Leaders which is exactly what Desantis is exhibiting…….
The Left WOKE crazies just don't understand that THEIR ACTIONS and THEIR TRENDS are watched very closely by Republican Governors ( the smart ones) and when they see what is trending and what is SWEEPING across the Nation they are taking preemptive actions.
Voting after Covid 2020 Republican Governors STRENGTHENED their States voting laws on the books so that could not happen again in their States. Not suppression as the LEFT calls it but a strengthening of how, when and the methods by which we vote.
Now we see this weird trend of talking to little kids about sexuality and gender identification and puberty blockers and so again they react by saying NOT HERE it won't happen here.

The LEFT is famous for then saying it's much ado about nothing.
CRT isn't even being taught (bullshit)
No one is talking about gender identification or sexuality with little kids ( more bullshit)
The LEFT just denies it is even happening that the Republican Governor is just being mean and it's a political talking point.

But CRT is being taught in California, NY, Virginia, and others and the LEFT wants more of it.
We find out that California and New Jersey are talking to little kids about inappropriate topics like gender identification here is a recent article

So all the Republican Governors are really doing is watching the trends, watching the madness in Blue states and saying " NOT IN OUR STATE!"

Cortez,
"Stay on point" to you means ignore all the wrongs your team is doing. Sorry I am a big believer in consistency. The primary reason that most Republicans support DeSantis and Trump is because they will fight by the same rules (or lack of) that demi's do.

BTW, All DeSantis did was take away a company specific tax break. How fair is it that Disney gets a tax break that Mary Lou's hardware store does not receive? Your boy Brandon is all around the country promising to tax the rich. You should be happy Disney will pay closer to its "fair share". Orange County Florida is always whining about needing more revenue. Now they can tax Disney to get it.
He took away nothing as he has not signed that yet. My guess the Governor and Disney will strike a deal.

Reactions: central17

No Bueno.
Bury those woke pos..!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT